lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Default cart won't run

I would like to piggyback on this post. I have a 2003 Ez Go 36v PDS cart. Worked fine when parked. Next Day would not click the solenoid, no battery meter light & in the run position. I do have voltage to the battery meter light from the battery, assuming different wire than the one going to the switch. I did not find any voltage on the key switch. The reverse beep does work. I entered diagnosis mode and got 3 quick beeps, no more after the initial 3. I recently replaced a connector on the micro switch and worked fine after that.
I checked and I have 38.6 volts on both large wires on the solenoid. I also have voltage on the 2 outside pins on the controller. None on the middle one. Possibly run/tow switch? Should the solenoid have voltage on both large wires if the pedal is not down? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
boandbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Re: cart won't run

Is it a stock controller on the cart?
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boandbabs View Post
I would like to piggyback on this post. I have a 2003 Ez Go 36v PDS cart. Worked fine when parked. Next Day would not click the solenoid, no battery meter light & in the run position. I do have voltage to the battery meter light from the battery, assuming different wire than the one going to the switch. I did not find any voltage on the key switch. The reverse beep does work. I entered diagnosis mode and got 3 quick beeps, no more after the initial 3. I recently replaced a connector on the micro switch and worked fine after that.
I checked and I have 38.6 volts on both large wires on the solenoid. I also have voltage on the 2 outside pins on the controller. None on the middle one. Possibly run/tow switch? Should the solenoid have voltage on both large wires if the pedal is not down? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Apparently the voltage from the F/R switch is not be passed through the controller to the keyswitch.

Attached are a drawing sowing the voltage paths through a PDS controller and a picture of a PDS controller with Pin-1 highlighted on all the jacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Jacks Pin-1 in red.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
georgia088
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thanks.
You shouldn’t have pack voltage on both sides of solenoid until pedal is pressed. There should be 3-5v less voltage on the controller side of solenoid when the pedal is in up position. I don’t know what kind of controller you have, but I think some have shut down features when solenoid is sending “welded closed” signal. Which yours would be if it is pack voltage on both sides all the time.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Thx, stock controller. I have same voltage on both large wires on the solenoid.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
georgia088
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thx, stock controller. I have same voltage on both large wires on the solenoid.
Follow Johnnieb’s advice. He’s the expert.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

I have another solenoid, I think I will try it and see. Thanks & I will follow his advice.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

I changed the solenoid & no good results. Still not working. I checked the voltage on each large wire of the solenoid and I have 36.4 on one & 36.9 on the other. I have pack voltage on both outside pins on the controller. No battery light at battery meter. Nothing happen when pedal is down. Still 3 quick beeps. Thanks
Old 08-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Does this sound like a toe/run switch issue? Just brainstorming. Thx.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
georgia088
Gone Wild

You should have voltage at the key switch. Do you have voltage coming out of pins 8 and 9 of the j1 plug on the controller? Refer to Johnnieb’s attachment for pin numbers.

Do you have voltage at tow/run switch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO