lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #31
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

Could you show us once more the engine in cart you can't get to fire. I didn't go back and read all the posts.
Have you bought new ignition parts for it yet ?
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #32
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here it is in all it's non firing glory. Turns over great on the pedal, key switch turns power on/off, ie: starter won't engage unless key is "on". I am going to go through the wiring diagram wire by wire again...pull everything loose, and re-attach everything. I just hope I didn't fry both ignitors and coils. The pulsar coil Ohms out exactly like the functional one on my old TXT motor, so I am guessing it is ok.
20201111_091350.jpg
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #33
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Is it my poor eyesight or is that battery the wrong way round? It looks like the larger positive terminal goes to ground and the smaller negative terminal goes to the solenoid! If so that could be the issue. The engine would still turn over but without fire.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #34
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Is it my poor eyesight or is that battery the wrong way round? It looks like the larger positive terminal goes to ground and the smaller negative terminal goes to the solenoid! If so that could be the issue. The engine would still turn over but without fire.
Nah, its your poor eyesight! I didn't have another adapter battery post clamp to drop the cables on, so I used a hose clamp over the negative battery post with the eye hole connectors tucked underneath...it makes it look like the left post is bigger...it isn't. its actually a very tight connection for a temporary situation while using the lawn tractor battery. The polarity on the battery is set up correctly both at the battery and the solenoid, or at least it matches the wiring diagram, and my functional MPT cart. I had to place every connector when I installed everything and did it per the wiring diagram, one wire at a time. Did it this way before when I changed out the wiring harness from the MCI to PreMCI harness on the MPT machine and it fired up first time. Not so on the workhorse. the Workhorse did have some wiring issues outside the ignition wiring set-up though, so I am hoping that didn't fry something(s). Hopefully this evening I will have time to disconnect all the wiring out of the system that isn't ignition, isolate it to a two wire key switch/solenoid/ignitor/voltage regulator/pulsar coil/and ignition coil...just bypass the pedal and reverse switches and use the key start in the system to verify all the components work, then add the others back in till I find the problem. I'll probably find that I have a ground wire touching a connector somewhere on the ignition circuit.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #35
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Could you show us once more the engine in cart you can't get to fire. I didn't go back and read all the posts.
Have you bought new ignition parts for it yet ?
Trig, I have not...but I was rotating in known working parts from my other machine to figure out what the problem was...I think I will be rotating them back to the working machine and make sure they all are still "Known working parts" and that I didn't fry them in this process.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #36
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Trig, I have not...but I was rotating in known working parts from my other machine to figure out what the problem was...I think I will be rotating them back to the working machine and make sure they all are still "Known working parts" and that I didn't fry them in this process.
I couldn't see the ignitor but I assume you are using the pre-mci one ? Hope you didn't fry anything. I did trash an ignitor once by trying to crank it with my 220 amp battery charger on full load. I guess thats what done it because it was running when I parked it. Battery went dead I put the charger in the start mode while spinning it over.
You not getting any spark now ?
Old 11-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #37
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I couldn't see the ignitor but I assume you are using the pre-mci one ? Hope you didn't fry anything. I did trash an ignitor once by trying to crank it with my 220 amp battery charger on full load. I guess that's what done it because it was running when I parked it. Battery went dead I put the charger in the start mode while spinning it over.
You not getting any spark now ?
No spark...maybe a tiny flash on the spark tester from time to time when cranking, but not a full spark. I haven't had a charger on the battery, or any source other than the 12v battery to start it. I am using a pre-MCI ignitor and coil, and replaced the one that was in the machine with the one I had in the MPT machine that I knew was working...all the wires came apart from the same places, and went back to the same places, same deal with the ignition coil. The key switches were weird, as they look the same, but they don't ohm out the same, and then they do...almost like something is loose inside, but if that were the case, the one that was working perfectly on the other machine should plug in and work, and it doesn't. The manual I have is for an MCI machine, and the resistance numbers for the various components are not what I am seeing on any of these components, but they are consistent from previously known working components to the ones that were on the WH, and even my old TXT motor. I did have a bad back up buzzer, but replaced that and it works as it should. The lights are an issue ...haven't figured out why yet. Gotta be another burn or abrasion in the harness somewhere that I can't see, maybe where it makes a bend in or out of the frame. All the wires for the ignition, both power and ground Ohm out as if they are intact...and not from one to another except the blue/white light feed at the front of the machine and ground. I have disconnected the blue/white wire from the fuse box, and from the key, so that should eliminate it from the power system entirely I would think, so unless the ignition wire from the key and the lighting wire are grounded somewhere, this thing doesn't make sense to me. They aren't even in the same wire loom from the key to the solenoid area.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #38
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Not sure you mentioned what your pulser coil was generating ? when turning over it should be 1/2 AC volts.
Also is the area where the ignitor mounts and mount itself has got to be clean with no rust.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #39
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Trig, that is the next course of business.

I just put the original Workhorse ignitor and coil in the MPT, and it fired right up, so the the MPT ignitor and coil which were working fine in the MPT should work fine in the workhorse. So, good news is that the parts are all good. Bad news is that I need to chase down this wiring issue. I know where they are all supposed to go...I just did it on the MPT...why can't I get it to work on the workhorse. Possibly the pulsar coil...To be continued.

I'll do some reading on how to test the Pulsar...its around here somewhere, for sure.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #40
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

PROGRESS!!!
We have spark. Pulsar coil showed no volts when cranking....Ohmed properly at 20 ohms...very odd. Also found that the ground wire on the ignitor connects to ground through a spade connector...it was not as tight as I would like to see...I think it had continuity, but maybe not enough connectivity. Who knows, and who cares...It has spark...would fire, run briefly, but couldn't get it to run regularly. Compression is 160 PSI both sides, valves are set at .04 lash, and it is reportedly, and appears to be a rebuilt engine from a shop in Augusta, doing work for a golf course, so internals should be intact and as they should be. We will se. Carb was gunked up bad enough I couldn't get fuel into the carb at one point, so I am guessing the only issue now is cleaning this carb with a wire through the jets and passages. I'll pop the other running carb on to check it out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO