lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
tom anthony
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie with ????'s

Hi all,
I just acquired a 1986 G-2 and was lucky enough to come across this site. I looked at all the previous posts and already have successufuly removed the governor, replaced the spark plug and installed a new air filter. I'm quite experienced with automotive engines and am now learning a great deal by reading all the fine posts on this site.
Now for a few questions:
Can I do a compression test in the same way as it's done on a regular car engine. If so, what are the specs?
Where is the filler plug for the rear end fluid?
After the cables are removed from the governor, does the governor linkage -shaft- need to be in any specific position?
Finally, my inexperience with these carts has me wondering how smoothly they should run. Mine starts right up and has enough power to pull up a somwhat steep hill but it seems to run rough. There isn't any smoke coming out of the exhaust and doesn't seem to be missing but it does seem a bit rough. I know that's rather vauge but any insight will be appreciated. Is there a timing adjustment for these?
Thanks, Tom
tom anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Riorat
supervision required

Club Car

Default Re: Newbie with ????'s

Welcome To BGW
Riorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does It Start Running Rough At Hi Rpm ? Welcome To Bgw
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom anthony View Post
Hi all,
I just acquired a 1986 G-2 and was lucky enough to come across this site. I looked at all the previous posts and already have successufuly removed the governor, replaced the spark plug and installed a new air filter. I'm quite experienced with automotive engines and am now learning a great deal by reading all the fine posts on this site.
Now for a few questions:
Can I do a compression test in the same way as it's done on a regular car engine. If so, what are the specs?
Where is the filler plug for the rear end fluid?
After the cables are removed from the governor, does the governor linkage -shaft- need to be in any specific position?
Finally, my inexperience with these carts has me wondering how smoothly they should run. Mine starts right up and has enough power to pull up a somwhat steep hill but it seems to run rough. There isn't any smoke coming out of the exhaust and doesn't seem to be missing but it does seem a bit rough. I know that's rather vauge but any insight will be appreciated. Is there a timing adjustment for these?
Thanks, Tom
Welcome to "The Nut House". When you take a compression test, remember it must be at "wide open throttle". Your Yamaha should have between 160 and 175 lbs compression. Valve adjustment is 4 thousanths "cold" both intake and exhaust. There is a "drain" bolt at the bottom of the differencial, a "Level flow" bolt on the driverside case. the "filler"opening is thru the rubber vent tube opening. On the "roughness" ? Could one of your primary clutch weights ? Take the cap off the clutch and inspect. You may also want to run the car with out the air cleaner. Run better ? the air box is not sealing corectly. Hope this helps. Keep us posted. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
tom anthony
Not Yet Wild

Dave,
Thanks for the guidelines. I will keep you posted as I check these things out.
tom anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

So I guess 75 lbs of compression wont do the trick?
TROPHYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYMAN View Post
So I guess 75 lbs of compression wont do the trick?
Trophyman...You have a G1 (a 2 cycle engine) Tom asked about the compression reading on a G2 (4 cyle engine). I will post on your thread. Later dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Smallblock--Thanks for your info. It was very helpful.

---------T
TROPHYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Dave is the MAN!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha