lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #71
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Newbie Restoring a G1

Been busy the past week but I finally managed to get the engine put back in the frame and everything wired back up. I'm 99% sure the wiring is correct but when I turn the key on and push the gas pedal absolutely nothing happens. No sounds, nothing moves......just nothing.

So I'm going to start trouble shooting but I'm not sure where to start. I'm guessing the best place to begin is the start stop switch under the gas pedal?

Should I here the solenoids click when I engage the pedal?

The good thing is none of the wires fried when I hooked everything up. The wiring is the part that I have dreaded and I hope it's not going to be a major undertaking getting it figured out.

Like I said when I did the wiring I'm 99% sure it is correct. I followed the wiring diagram to a "T". I did continuity checks from point a to point b of all the wires and studied the wiring diagram until I had it pretty much memorized

Any suggestions?
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #72
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Check your fuses to be sure one didn't blow as soon as you hitched up the battery. If so, you need to track down the short. If the fuses are OK, start tracing power to and through the key switch and stop switch.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #73
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
Check your fuses to be sure one didn't blow as soon as you hitched up the battery. If so, you need to track down the short. If the fuses are OK, start tracing power to and through the key switch and stop switch.
I should have added that I did check the fuses and none were blown.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #74
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I just found big blocks instructions for carts that wont turn over....should help

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...turn-over.html
Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #75
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Still having wiring problems. I took the wiring harness back out to check it out again.

I saw a thread somewhere that showed how to bench test the starter but I can't seem to find it now. How do you bench test it? Also any information on testing the solenoid. I'll keep looking in the meantime.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #76
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

smallblock450sl to the rescue again. I found your post on how to test the solenoids.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-solenoid.html
Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #77
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here are the results of testing the solenoid

Both BLACK wires to the solenoid had constant 3.1 volts to them.

Blue wire:
Key off = 0
Key on = 12.3 Key turned counter clockwise
Key on pedal pushed = 12.3

Yellow wire:
Key off = 0
Key on = 0 Key turned Clockwise
Key on pedal pushed = 12.3

Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #78
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have things partially figured out now. One of my solenoids is bad, my starter is good after testing it, have a wiring harness problem somewhere.

It is starting to get frustrating and very time consuming sorting through all those wires, but I'm getting closer. Next time will be much easier.....I hope!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #79
SteveRand
Yamahaulin' CC Rider

Mixed Breed

You're doing an awesome job! I'm having a blast restoring my G2, and hope to get pics up soon. Oooooo... a sandblaster would be wonderful!

I know my ID says Club Car, but the Yamaha is so much more fun to tinker with! These carts are addictive, that's for sure!

Good luck with the electrical, and keep the great pics coming!
SteveRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #80
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRand View Post
You're doing an awesome job! I'm having a blast restoring my G2, and hope to get pics up soon. Oooooo... a sandblaster would be wonderful!

I know my ID says Club Car, but the Yamaha is so much more fun to tinker with! These carts are addictive, that's for sure!

Good luck with the electrical, and keep the great pics coming!
The sandblaster is great. Got it for $29 at Harbor Freight. Definitely sped things up.

I'm excited now. I figured out my wiring problem

I looked over and over the ground wire in the wiring diagram and realized I was missing the ground that goes from the solenoid to the ground wires in the wiring harness. I made a new wire, hooked everything up, pushed the pedal and the starter and engine turned right over. I think I actually did a little dance in the garage My wife gave me the "you are a moron" look, but hey, I've spent numerous hours trying to figure that one out and I was excited.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha