lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

Default rusted out frame member acid actually

Any body got any ideas or tips to restrengthen an 82 frame sagging from acid and Rust ,cart does the job 36V starting to bend and catch ,would like to repair enough to get a coulp[e more years out of it.money not there to replace .thanks!
multifasited is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: rusted out frame member acid actually

Have the rail sleeved or fish-plated.Get some steel flat or angle that is the same size as the rail,either the same thickness or one guage heavier(1/8" rail use 1/8" or 3/16").If the damage is 4" long,sleeve or plate it a minimum of 8"(2" overlap).I like to overlap 3x the damage,but its' not always possible.Sleeving is forming a tube or rail with angle or round-tubing(cut in half lengthwise),then boxing it around the damaged area.If possible,cut out the damage,replace the bad area first,then sleeve or plate it.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

Problem as you Well know is space ,Thinking about removing rusted bottom of frame tubing ,cart upside down and secured ,and filling tube with fiberglass heavy duty strands and mat packing full as far as rusted is ,that way space is not changed and only chanel is packed should be very strong and impervious to acid and rust w/o requireing any other modifications ,what do you think ?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

That will fix the hole,but won't do anything for strength.If you can even weld a piece of flat on each side or the rail it will be stronger.Don't weld the ends of the flats,it will cause a "stress-riser" and crack.Only weld the length of the flat where it runs along the rail.Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
That will fix the hole,but won't do anything for strength.If you can even weld a piece of flat on each side or the rail it will be stronger.Don't weld the ends of the flats,it will cause a "stress-riser" and crack.Only weld the length of the flat where it runs along the rail.Hope this helps.
I was able to find some 2"x1"x1/8" Tubeing And some 1/8"X2" flat stock Cleaned up area Able to weld To Flanges On edge of tubing frt. cross member and make hangers to attach rear wheel frame above rusted areas and brace from twist center pull frame back straight horizontal and weld rear hangers ,worked out goog every thing back straight and solid ,seems to have cured sagging and scrapping .Happy camper ,THANKS FOR YOU INPUT CARL
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Nothin better than a Happy-Camper!!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

been 3 days now even with my husky golfing friend all things working very well should last me as long as I'll be interested or able to to enjoy the game !Batteries acid really raises hell w/ metal fumes mostly I guess w/ all the recharging of batteries ,probabaly would help to remove the seat ,but on the 82 Its a pain.best $17.00 I've spent on it actual modification only took a couple hrs after deciding how best to do it.I would recomend to any one else in same situation .thanks again for help! Carl
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The best way to prevent it from re-occuring is to keep the cart clean.Wash it regularly,including the battery-tray and batteries.Glad its' all good now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO