lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Ploki
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v solar

batteries are starting to flag .is there a solar boost system i can purchase?
Ploki is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 36v solar

Not one that will make up for "flagging" batteries.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Sethjamto
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I wired 3 12v panels up in a series on my canopy for a total of 36v's. It will slowly charge the cart over a few hours, but nothing compared to an actual charger. I do this only for while I'm hunting, so that it can trickle charge while I'm in the woods from the drive out there from the camp house. I don't need it, but it gives me that "feel good" feeling of insurance that it's slowly charging while I'm out looking for Bambi's dad in the woods!
Sethjamto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
bozzchem
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjamto View Post
I wired 3 12v panels up in a series on my canopy for a total of 36v's. It will slowly charge the cart over a few hours, but nothing compared to an actual charger. I do this only for while I'm hunting, so that it can trickle charge while I'm in the woods from the drive out there from the camp house. I don't need it, but it gives me that "feel good" feeling of insurance that it's slowly charging while I'm out looking for Bambi's dad in the woods!
What could be added to a setup such as you've described that would ensure the batteries don't get overcharged?

For example, if you were to leave the 3 panels connected to the batteries for a week or perhaps longer.

(I'm new, be gentle with me!)

The main reason I chose an electric model is the ability to charge via solar.

I guess once I get a meter installed to monitor the charge, it's a non issue since I can just look at the gauge.
bozzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Even without a charge regulator, the low amp output (~1.5 amps) and limited peak voltage production ability (~15v per panel) overcharging is pretty unlikely unless its in the sun for over a month without any use. I would still buy or build a charge controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
bozzchem
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Even without a charge regulator, the low amp output (~1.5 amps) and limited peak voltage production ability (~15v per panel) overcharging is pretty unlikely unless its in the sun for over a month without any use. I would still buy or build a charge controller.
You would know all about the sun being in AZ!

Let's say you already have a 100W 12V solar panel and a controller for home use. Can that be used to keep the batteries topped off or does it need to be a 36V configuration from the panels?
bozzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I was not talking about panels on your house tied to your house, IMO those are best left to do what they do, your house. I thought you were talking about smaller panels that could possibly be put on your cart top. Or put by the garage or wherever its stored (thats how i keep my hibernating batteries stored).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO