lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 EZ GO TXT does not have enough power to climb hill...HELP!!

Hello everyone..I'm sure my problem has already been posted but I did a search and cannot find anything similar to my problem. I just purchased a 2000 EZ GO TXT DCS cart and was told it was PERFECT...NO ISSUES... So I get home and test drive it in the yard and she rides just as expected (maybe a little slower than other golf carts I have rode)....so when I drove it down to the fish pond on my way back I tried to climb the hill and she did not have enough power to make it up the hill...The Trojan batteries were fully charged and are new...they were purchased in Jan. I am not a electrical guru but I know enough to be dangerous. How can I tell if I need a new drive motor or need to replace the speed controller .....or any other solenoids and or relays?
truviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 EZ GO TXT does not have enough power to climb hill...HELP!!

Anyone??????
Old 11-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you purchase the batteries in Jan or is that what the seller stated? What is the letter-number code engraved on the negative battery terminal? How often was the cart charged since jan? What is your battery pack voltage?

Charge cart till charger turns off, without riding cart wait 12 hours and record the overall pack voltage and individual battery voltages.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by truviking View Post
Hello everyone..I'm sure my problem has already been posted but I did a search and cannot find anything similar to my problem. I just purchased a 2000 EZ GO TXT DCS cart and was told it was PERFECT...NO ISSUES... So I get home and test drive it in the yard and she rides just as expected (maybe a little slower than other golf carts I have rode)....so when I drove it down to the fish pond on my way back I tried to climb the hill and she did not have enough power to make it up the hill...The Trojan batteries were fully charged and are new...they were purchased in Jan. I am not a electrical guru but I know enough to be dangerous. How can I tell if I need a new drive motor or need to replace the speed controller .....or any other solenoids and or relays?
I don't think EZGO made a DCS cart in model year 2000, but I might be wrong.
However, they did make a few PDS carts in 2000 that had a DCS type F/R switch before they moved the F/R selector to the dash, maybe that is what you have.

If there is a speed sensor on the motor, it is a PDS. (Wires coning out of the center of the end cap of the motor)

In either case, it may be a bad battery. One that fails under load.

Connect a DVM to the main positive and main negative terminals on the battery and monitor the voltage while driving.

It will drop some on level ground, but shouldn't drop below 31.5V on a hill.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Did you purchase the batteries in Jan or is that what the seller stated? What is the letter-number code engraved on the negative battery terminal? How often was the cart charged since jan? What is your battery pack voltage?

Charge cart till charger turns off, without riding cart wait 12 hours and record the overall pack voltage and individual battery voltages.
No Sport coupe...I did not purchase the batteries. I relied on the previous owners word who not only told me they replaced the batteries but it was a 48 volt cart..well after further review and learning more off this site I found out that my cart is actually a 36 volt. I feel like I've been had..although I did get to test ride it I did NOT try it on a hill...it never crossed my mind. I was also told the batts were installed in Jan 2014...the code (H 3) tells me they are from Aug 2013. Even still they should not be bad...or should they?
I am charging them and will try what you suggested and will go from there...
Old 11-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Listen to what JohnnieB is telling you. The issue sounds like one or more batteries are bad. There are several options for checking. As stated, put a volt meter across the pack and drive the cart. Even on level ground a bad battery will drag the pack voltage down. If you have the ability to load test each battery, you can isolate the bad one(s).
I don't think I would begin thinking you've been ripped, just yet. It is very possible to have batteries built in August and sold in January.
I'd be more concerned about why the seller stated it was a 48 volt cart. Is it a stock controller and solenoid? Have you traced all the battery cables? Is it possible there are two more batteries hidden in the bag well?
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After charging check your water level also. Only use distilled water and don't fill to the top, just cover the plates 1/4".
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I don't think EZGO made a DCS cart in model year 2000, but I might be wrong.
However, they did make a few PDS carts in 2000 that had a DCS type F/R switch before they moved the F/R selector to the dash, maybe that is what you have.

If there is a speed sensor on the motor, it is a PDS. (Wires coning out of the center of the end cap of the motor)

In either case, it may be a bad battery. One that fails under load.

Connect a DVM to the main positive and main negative terminals on the battery and monitor the voltage while driving.

It will drop some on level ground, but shouldn't drop below 31.5V on a hill.
Johnnie B...I may have made a mistake in describing my cart...Hell I don't know what it is...I was reading a post and tried to use what they said to figure out what I had...I do know it a 2000 from the tag I found under the passenger side dash...I took a few pics of the batteries and the motor...although I could NOT get a good pic of the motor I hope it will help...I will start taking a few parts off to get a better access to the motor to see EXACTLY what it is.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141102_165508330 (1).jpg (130.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141102_165335998.jpg (223.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141102_165434729.jpg (88.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Chloe and Sports Coupe...I'll try that..
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a guess. And it could be I'm way off here, but, do you really think the batteries in that picture represent batteries placed in the cart in January. To me, they appear to have a bit more...patina, than 10 month old batteries.
Whatever the date, they have not been properly cleaned and cared for.

Just to add to the confusion, Trojan does not show a difference between 2003 and 2013. Those batteries could very well be more than eleven years old.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5224439_read...batteries.html
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO