lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EXT Goes reverse, not forward, DCX600 contoller

Hello, I have a EZ Go TXT with a DCX 600 amp controller, heavy duty solenoid, Bigger wires etc. But I do have the stock motor yet. I installed all this around 8-12-11 and have used it very little. The controller blinks red 5 times when I put it into forward and press the gas pedal. solenoid clicks.

I contacted Alltrax and here is what they said:

The problem you described tells me without a doubt that this is a bad controller. You can check the field resistance of the motor by pulling the F1 and F2 wires off of the controller and touching your meter leads to the wires with the meter set to its lowest resistance setting. The resistance should be between 1 and 3 ohms. The reason that its not the motor is that the car would not run in either direction and the controller would show the 5 red lights in either direction.

I am NOT an Electrician in the troubleshooting it says:

5 red = Open field circuit. Check field connections and motor’s field resistance.
What is a field connection??
Is Alltrax correct in their diagnosis?
If so do these expensive controllers only last a few years?
This is my first golf cart
Thank you for your help.
bward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EXT Goes reverse, not forward, DCX600 contoller

A DCX600 is a bit much for a stock PDS motor and unless the max amp setting is turned down to about 400, so you may very well burn up the motor.

However, if it does run in reverse, but not forward, Alltrax tech support is right, it isn't the motor it is the controller.

The DCX is a good, reliable controller and they last a long time, but like anything the do break eventually, or something can cause them to fail.

Before installing a new controller, be sure to check the F1 & F2 cables where they rub on the battery frame. (See attached picture)

Shorting the two cables together will take out the part of the controller that feeds the field windings and the taken out part will be for whichever direction the cart was in when the short occurred.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB,
I'll look there today after work, I thought that I ran cable insulation, that plastic covering stuff to make sure something like this did not happen. I will let you know.
Thanks for the help.
Brian
bward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alltrax is correct. As for the cause, it could be caused by a direct short in field wires like was the case in my customers cart shown above or it could be that you have allowed the motor to access too much amperage for it's own good and it has developed a short. In either case the replacement should be 400a for the stock motor or 500a for an aftermarket motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO