lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 AM   #1
ar311
Not Yet Wild

Default controller upgrade

I recently purchased a 36v txt and it does not have enough torque for the hills on my deer lease. Was going to upgrade to a 400 amp controller to increase torque. Ive never done anything like this before so i was wondering if i upgrade the controller, do i have to upgrade the motor as well. And are there any other must upgrade items that go with a controller upgrade. Thx
ar311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Default Re: controller upgrade

First off this is you're first post so welcome to the forum
Secondly we are going to need more information than that
What size tires does it have
Is it series or sepex
Are you're batteries up to the task
With a little more help from you I'm sure everyone here can point you in the right direction
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you upgrade the controller, I would look at upgrading all the high current cables and the solenoid at the same time.

If your cart is a series cart, look at upgrading the mechanical f&r switch under the seat as well.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you go to my website and read up on selecting which upgrade is right for your use you will see that 400a may not be enough for what you want to do. 500 amps would be a better fit for a series cart with big tires.

I just read sponsors are not suppose to put links in the text so you are going to have to figure out where this information is on your own.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Old 02-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Take above advise and go with all suggestions, i.e., cable, solenoid, controller, and definitely FNR for series cart. Motor options are many. Plumquick is the potentially least expensive as it is a rebuild upgrade. I did this on my cart and got noticeable speed and torque improvements before I upgraded the controller.etc. Your info seems like torque may be a bigger concern for your needs. Check out plumquick also for this and D&D motors. Others will have additional recommendations.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
ar311
Not Yet Wild

Its a lifted cart with 22 inch wheels and its a series cart with6 6v batteries
Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar311 View Post
Its a lifted cart with 22 inch wheels and its a series cart with6 6v batteries
The 400 will be a disappointment on a series cart. Good for campgrounds and neighborhoods. 36v is kind of weak, generally speaking... the stock 2.5hp motor and 36v pack are designed for the game of golf on relatively flat ground. More rigorous activity with large diameter tires require much more power. One good option is running the stock motor on 48 volts to induce higher torque and rpm outputs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
ar311
Not Yet Wild

Not really interested in going 48 volt. If i put a 500amp controller and high torque motor in would that do the job?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Staying 36v and adding 500amp controller with upgraded torque motor will definitely get maximum torque available at 36v. You will not gain any speed though. Don't forget the other stuff, solenoid, all high current cables and HD F&R switch.

What are your expectations? Series carts have many "high torque" motors available. The biggest will only net you around 10 mph with massive torque.

Give Eric at D&D motors a call and discuss motors available and your needs. Custom motors aren't as expensive as you might think.

Tags
36v, alltrax, controller, ezgo, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO