lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 2004 EZ GO 48v Conversion

have a 2004 EZ go 36v cart,

GOing to convert over to a 48V system

So far I have purchased a new set of 48v batteries, a NPX4844EZ Alltrax Motor Controller, a 48V 200 amp solenoid.

I know I will need a charger and also plan to make all new cables out of 2g wire.

What else will I need to complete this conversion

thanks for the help
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZ GO 48v Conversion

This is a series cart - you should upgrade the F&R switch with the cable set
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

thanks for the reply could you pM a price for the switch. Also.will the current switch work for a while or does it have to swapped out?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

A power step down converter for your 12 volt needs or a separate 12 volt bat. I am assuming you went to 6-8 volt batteries and not 4-12 volt (8 volt has no battery dimension issues for an existing 6 volt bat bat-rack). Recommended solenoid resistor for 48 volt seems to be 470ohm. My experience is that many HD solenoids are advertised as 36/48 volt and come with a 220 ohm resistor. However, others here can tell you whether that is a big deal or not. I believe your upgraded solenoid probably has a 3 amp diode. Change battery indicator to a volt meter for better protection/understanding of new bats SOC if you have not already. Scottyb/carts unlimited has an excellent upgrade for this.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The current switch cannot let the same amount of amperage that 2g cable can pass. This amounts to a restriction in the flow and amperage delivery. Every amp the motor burns goes through the F&R switch in this the series drive cart.
I have the heaviest Ezgo F&R available. We boast 60% greater efficiency. Available in models for TXT and 2 models for the early and late Marathon.
Base price $169 TXT. This is a complete switch with new micro switches and mounting plate. Go here for pricing and pictures.

Scottyb's HD F&R switches
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I did the Scottyb HD FNR switch a few weeks after my upgrade from existing cart's 42 volt to 48 volt upgrade. I should have done this much sooner as my controller had been upgraded from 400 amp to 700 amp for a couple of years, as were my cables, solenoid, etc. as I waited for 42 volt system bats to die. Nothing happened in the interim, but a noticeable improvement in speed per my dash mounted gps speedometer occurred once I did this. Scottyb's HD FNR is for safety/efficiency and it matches up with all the work you are doing with the 2 ga cables, eliminating a 'choke-point' for resistance in your electrical system and possibly damaging heat build-up to the existing FNR. I probably had no problems as my cart is used for short runs to my development's clubhouse, little inclines and some golf. If you are planning on some big hills and long runs don't wait on the HD FNR!
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
have a 2004 EZ go 36v cart,

GOing to convert over to a 48V system

So far I have purchased a new set of 48v batteries, a NPX4844EZ Alltrax Motor Controller, a 48V 200 amp solenoid.

I know I will need a charger and also plan to make all new cables out of 2g wire.

What else will I need to complete this conversion

thanks for the help
The plates in your new batteries are sulfating as we speak!!!

They should be fully charged prior to first use and after each subsequent use.

The DPI Accusense charger is the best bang for the buck: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

Whatever 48V charger you get, get it soon and rig up a way to charge those new batteries if you aren't installing them immediately.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok thanks for all the help

A few questions.

-what is a series cart and how do I know that mine is a series cart.

-is the 400 amp controller sufficient? I do have a lift and larger tires. Occasionally will have 4 riders. Flat terrain. hoping to keep stock motor for a while

-would a charger like this work? -nevermind ,, cant post link

if someone wants to copy and paste the info below into a ebay search it will pull up the charger i found

Quick-Charge-SCP4815AS-48V-15A-Golf-Cart-Battery-Fast-Portable-Select-a-Charge

also saw some onboard chargers? any thoughts on those?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO