lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question on Speed

Also look in the driver side cubby. Might be a plate riveted in there with motor data on it. Standard motor is 1.49 kw. Some carts got the 1.87 kw motor. Probably the one cgtech mentioned. My cart came with the 1.87 kw motor and it would run 17mph on 18" tires even with the rear seat and long roof etc. I'm talking "series" carts.

Freedom generally means factory lights. Does your key switch have a third position for lights? If it does this generally means factory lights. If you have factory lights the cart is probably pre wired for turn signals. There will be a connection behind the cup holder for a factory turn signal kit. You might also have brake lights. Are there any wires on the brake pedal arm?

Plug your serial no. in here: https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html The serial no is all numbers, no letters
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Also look in the driver side cubby. Might be a plate riveted in there with motor data on it. Standard motor is 1.49 kw. Some carts got the 1.87 kw motor. Probably the one cgtech mentioned. My cart came with the 1.87 kw motor and it would run 17mph on 18" tires even with the rear seat and long roof etc. I'm talking "series" carts.

Freedom generally means factory lights. Does your key switch have a third position for lights? If it does this generally means factory lights. If you have factory lights the cart is probably pre wired for turn signals. There will be a connection behind the cup holder for a factory turn signal kit. You might also have brake lights. Are there any wires on the brake pedal arm?

Plug your serial no. in here: https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html The serial no is all numbers, no letters
Thanks for the reply. I remember specifically checking to see if there were break lights, by checking I mean I depressed the break lever, and looked to see if the tail lights got brighter. They did not. Below is a pic of the front end, certainly doesn't appear to be stock lights on there.

I did a search of my serial number and this is what was returned:

Make: TXT

Type: Electric 36 V

Model:TXT Standard

Year: 1999

Here is that pic of the front end and a pic of the battery bank, if that helps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00j0j_cS9h6FXvvFP_600x450.jpg (22.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 00a0a_lpYniB8i2jM_600x450.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, you definitely have a series cart. The head light is, in fact a factory type but I see no other evidence of it being a factory install or any evidence of this being a freedom cart either. Not a big deal. Just a little more work to get it street legal.

Batteries look pretty new. Is there a letter and number stamped on the negative posts. Might be something like C3. This would indicate march of 2013. Hopefully the number is a 4 or 5 and all the batteries are the same.

Also the battery hold downs are missing. It would be a REAL good idea to replace them.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

kobx, by looking at the pictures you posted, and as kernel mentioned.....you DEFINATLY have a SERIES cart. which is what both Kernal and I have as well.

First off I want to recommend you go to and bookmark CARTSUNLIMITED.NET you will be getting acquainted with them and ScottyB (he is here at BGW as well, after all, its his company, lol)

NOW.....you mentioned a few things in your OP

Quote:
This will eventually be street legal, and I'd like to bump the speed up a little (30mph max). Plus, I've got a bridge that I need to climb to get to the beach, so I wouldn't mind upgrading the torque. So, with the intension of going to a 48V system in the future (by swapping the 6 6V batteries with 6 8V batteries and the associated wiring) what is the best controller to use? Do I need to also upgrade the motor, or can I get the increase in speed and torque with just the controller? By the way, my use will primarily be carting the family to the beach, and camping, with the only "hill" being a bridge that goes over the intracoastal.
FIRST....you are on the right track wanting to go to 48v, GOOD CHOICE. for starters, you will make 30% more speed and torque just by going from 36 v to 48v.

your want/need to get in the neighborhood to 30 mph is very doable....
you will need to upgrade your controller, solenoid, F&R switch, and the high current cables (ALL of them)

Personally I would suggest going with a ALLTRAX SPM-48500 Controller, HD F&R Switch, 400A SD Solenoid, 2 Ga. Cables.

you can get that all from Scotty at cartsunlimited.net and is actually part of one of his packages, which will save you some money over buying the pieces separately. the cables are separate. here is a link directly to the site and the package I referred to. the package is about half way down the page, its Pkg #485

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

The cables are on the page below and you would want/need Kit #2

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html

Now.....with the deliver system upgraded.....you will need to decide on a new motor or to rebuild your current motor. you mentioned the cart being able to go at or close to 30 mph.....just the upgrade to 48v should put you at or about 23 mph. I would suggest to you to talk to scotty and he can recommend a good motor to you that will meets your needs. he happens to carry D&D motor s, which are a very good choice.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #15
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I gotta say, this forum is no BS!!! Thanks for all the informative responses!! Got her home last night, and started poking around to see what I've got going on. Here is what I have found:

Motor: P/N JH7-H1890-10 (Yamaha). This is what I was able to find, searching this Part #
T"his motor is typically used in flat ground transportation applications. If the cart is lifted with larger tires, or will be used in a hilly location or pulling application, you might want to consider using a Higher Amperage Controller to improve your torque even further as well. With a controller upgrade, you should always upgrade to a Higher Amperage Performance Solenoid Contactor Relay as well. Depending on your application, you may also need to upgrade to Heavier Gauge Battery and Power Cables as well as a Heavy Duty F-N-R Switch. Motor Specs AMD (Series), 36-volt (2.5-hp@2700 rpm) speeds up to 17 mph with higher amp controller Internal 19 spline. Not for use on PDS or DCS cars. Also fits: Columbia ParCar, Melex,Yamaha electric G9 (1992½-95) G14,G16"
Controller: P/N 25864G03, which appears to be made by CURTIS. I am having a hard time finding the specs on it. All the search returns say "EZGo Controller" so that makes me suspect its stock. Only thing I could find was a replacement for the 25864G03 had a rating of 300A.

As far as the F/R switch, I'm not smart enough yet to tell if its an upgraded one or not. Below are some pics of the front side, and rear side.

As far as the cabling, again I'm not smart enough to tell if they are upgraded or not. I took another pick of the batter bank, maybe someone can tell from the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FR Switch.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FR Switch2.jpg (183.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Bank.jpg (170.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Motor2.jpg (147.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

By the detail in the picture above I'd say that the battery to battery cables look like 4 or perhaps 2 gauge but the battery to controller/motor cables look like smaller 6 gauge... This is common as it is easy to do but it does little to no good as the smaller cable remain the weakest link....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #17
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The other 8 cables should be 4ga or better also.

Can't tell for sure about the F/R switch but I see no evidence that it isn't the original one.

The motor is not original equipment. Nothing wrong with it but won't get you to 25mph even on 48v.

Can you post the letter and number that is stamped into each battery neg post?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #18
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Sounds like no matter what I've got, the current motor will not allow me to make it to the 25mph mark, even if I go to 48V... (was hoping to avoid the cost of replacing the motor, too, and pushing off the cost of the battery bank replacement until it was time)

Sounds like I need to upgrade some of the remaining wires. I sent an email to ScottyB, basically regurgitating everything I have said on this thread, as well as pics, and I am hoping he can spell out exactly what I need to do to get to the 25-30mph mark I am after.

Kernal - I'll post that latter on tonight, but if you're after the date, the guy said he replaced the batteries in late 2013/early 2014.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

kobx, although its not an original equipment motor, its just a replacement that can been used in any of the carts listed. as far as the controller, its a stock OEM part.....and with that in mind, I would be willing to bet money that the F&R switch is stick as well.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
KosmoSVT
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Wires: Those wires look mostly like 4 gauge aside from the batteries to the left in the picture. I would definitely change those remaining smaller wires. I recently changed all my wires out to 2 gauge. Batteries, Controller, Solenoid and motor. From what everyone here told me; it's best to stay equal in size on main components. I think 4 gauge is a minimum for a good running cart; and keep this clean at all contact points. Which your cart does look like it was taken care of
KosmoSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO