lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
BorisM
Getting Wild

Question Did I kill my batteries?

I have a 48v EZ-Go cart that I purchased new a year ago. The cart was used for 3 month and was in storage for 9. While in storage it was connected to a dpi charger. Two weeks ago we started using the golf cart again and I neglected to check battery liquid level before use. Last week I finally got around to it and realized that batteries were empty (I added about 128 oz of water into six 8 v batteries.) Since then I installed a select-a-charge onboard charger and noticed that the charger shows 30 after the cart is driven for about 40 minutes and cart built-in charge meter only drops by one line. I do not feel any difference in speed or torque. Do I need to prepare myself to replace the batteries soon?
BorisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Did I kill my batteries?

You might skate by but your surely didn't help them none... All any of us can do is keep the water levels above the plates and keep them hooked up to a properly sized and functioning charger when not in use....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You mentioned the display on the Quick Charge Select-a-Charge on-board charger showed "30", but you didn't identify what it was 30 of. (Amps, Volts, % SoC)

Sounds like you have a LED Bar-Graph type battery meter. If so, dropping one line doesn't tell us much of anything, unless you know how many hundredths of a volt the pack has to drop for the meter to drop one line. If you don't have one, you need to get a DVM (digital Volt Meter) and measure the actual pack voltage.

As for needing to add 128 oz, (1 Gallon) of distilled water, that is only about 12% of the total electrolyte volume of six 8V batteries since they typically hold roughly 1.5 gallons each. Were the plates exposed to air?

If they were, you've lost some storage capacity, but you might regain some of it by doing a few equalization charges.

What Make/Model batteries?
What is the pack voltage after a 30 minute drive? (Let the batteries rest for about half an hour before measuring the voltage.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
You might skate by but your surely didn't help them none... All any of us can do is keep the water levels above the plates and keep them hooked up to a properly sized and functioning charger when not in use....
Charge them batteries with the DPI charger till it turns off. Let rest for a few hours and charge again, and do it again. Do this every chance you get for a week or so and you might get lucky. What batteries do you have?, Trojans seem to recover well when this happens
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
BorisM
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You mentioned the display on the Quick Charge Select-a-Charge on-board charger showed "30", but you didn't identify what it was 30 of. (Amps, Volts, % SoC)

Sounds like you have a LED Bar-Graph type battery meter. If so, dropping one line doesn't tell us much of anything, unless you know how many hundredths of a volt the pack has to drop for the meter to drop one line. If you don't have one, you need to get a DVM (digital Volt Meter) and measure the actual pack voltage.

As for needing to add 128 oz, (1 Gallon) of distilled water, that is only about 12% of the total electrolyte volume of six 8V batteries since they typically hold roughly 1.5 gallons each. Were the plates exposed to air?

If they were, you've lost some storage capacity, but you might regain some of it by doing a few equalization charges.

What Make/Model batteries?
What is the pack voltage after a 30 minute drive? (Let the batteries rest for about half an hour before measuring the voltage.)
As far as I can understand, Quick Charge Select-a-Charge on-board charger shows %, so it must be 30%. The plates were exposed to air. Batteries are Trojan T-875. I guess I need to get a good digital voltmeter, since I do not have one.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
BorisM
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Charge them batteries with the DPI charger till it turns off. Let rest for a few hours and charge again, and do it again. Do this every chance you get for a week or so and you might get lucky. What batteries do you have?, Trojans seem to recover well when this happens
So you think I should not be using select-a-charge onboard charger at all for now?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisM View Post
So you think I should not be using select-a-charge onboard charger at all for now?
You can use either one, I missed that when i read your post. I read you had a DPI
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
BorisM
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
You can use either one, I missed that when i read your post. I read you had a DPI
Got it, thank you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO