lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Sat. Charging Fine - Sun. Charger Won't Charge

JohnnieB - you're a real asset around here. I sucked up all the knowledge in your comprehensive reply like I am starting to learn something.

Here's my situation. I have this cart sold to a friend. But I can't let him have it until I am fairly sure I have the minor issues it keeps having are fixed.

And since I already have a new board on the way, I'll just wait, replace it, and see what happens then.

My biggest fear is there is something wrong with the batteries. They are 2 1/2 year old Interstates. When I got the cart, they were about half full with water. And the relay had been jumped in the charger. So, from what I have learned around here - the batteries could have been messed up.

It is possible that the batteries may not have been fully charging for the last 5 months after I plugged the relay back it. Maybe the charger was faulty and that is why the relay was bypassed. I just assumed they were charging correctly after I plugged the relay back in - (I know, ***umed). And no telling what the previous owner did or didn't do.

How long can I keep the charger plugged in with the relay bypassed - in order to see if I can get the voltage up and the amperage down? Or should I just wait until I get the new board in and charge normally?

And last question. Should I be worried about the batteries? And if so, is the only real way to assure my friend isn't getting screwed is to do a full load test. I can trailer the cart to a battery shop (a long way, and a lot of hassle) and they can do a real test for me.

What would you do?
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The first thing to do. is find out what %SoC (State of Charge) the batteries are charging to.

Charge them all day or overnight with the relay bypassed. Disconnect charger, wait at least 8 hours (preferably 12 hours) and measure pack voltage.

You can determine the SoC based on that voltage. Attached is a SoC chart.

Also, check the individual battery voltages at that time. All six batteries should be withing 0.1V of the others.

-----------
If the pack is charging to less than 100% SoC, repeatedly initiate a new charge every couple of hours. letting battery pack rest about an hour between charges.

Keep an eye on the electrolyte level. If the batteries are not charging to 100%, they will be gassing a lot during the back-to-back charges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks again Johnnie.

I will do that and report back.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #14
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

OK - so I charged it up with the charger relay bypassed for 12+ hrs. And after 8 hours after disconnecting the pack voltage is at 37.9v I'll check again in a few more.

The amp meter on the charger was at 12 when I turned it off.

So I am not sure what all this means. But mostly concerned that I'm not selling bad batteries to my friend. We both know there is no guarantees - and I would think if he can get another couple of years out of these, he should be happy.

What do you think now?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 AM   #15
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

And after eight more hours pack voltage at 37.8v
Old 07-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

After they rest from a charge check the voltage on each battery and see if one is lower than the others. You may have a bad one keeping the pack down.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
After they rest from a charge check the voltage on each battery and see if one is lower than the others. You may have a bad one keeping the pack down.
24 hrs. after unplugging all batteries tested at 6.3v.

So - with all this info - do you think my batteries are good enough to sell this cart to a friend for a good deal, of course?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO