lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Got emp motor, and 650 amp alltrax controller wired up and it only runs 8mph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You mean RPM gauge as in Tachometer?

Series wound motors don't typically have a speed sensor installed, but there might be some out there. I e-mailed D&D and asked if they were available on their motors, so I might hear something back in the next day or so.

In general terms, the speed sensors are Hall effect devices placed close to a magnetic disk attached to the motor shaft. If the disk has four pairs of poles (8 poles total), the sensor puts out four pulses per shaft revolution, which happily coincides with the pulse rate put out by a V8 car engine, so tachometers made for cars that work with low voltage pulses, will work on a golf cart.

-----------
From what I understand, Plum Quick rewinds stock motors for more low end torque, or more high end torque (speed), or a bit more of both, and the end product still has about the same heat dissipating capabilities of a stock motor. Of course the heat dissipation of a stock motor is likely to be sufficient unless you are pushing the performance envelope with something like a high speed motor coupled with high speed gears and turning tall tires.

A couple guys that frequent the BGW forum are using AMD 7126 motors and love them.

Also, contact Scotty at Carts unlimited:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Home_Page.html
He is pretty good at figuring out what motor is best for a cart.
-----------
The RPM you are turning with your setup on level ground isn't dangerous for the motor. Just don't be going down steep hills with your foot on the floor.

That raptor motor is tempting. Kinda pricey though for a budget build.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Got emp motor, and 650 amp alltrax controller wired up and it only runs 8mph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
That raptor motor is tempting. Kinda pricey though for a budget build.
Quality is like buying oats:
If you want nice, clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price.
However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper...
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With the EMP motor you have already has everything they can do to/for a Raptor. As Johnnie B said, they rewind either the field coils or the armature to gain increased speed, torque or both. It really doesn't make much difference who builds it, they are all limited by the same laws of mechanics and physics. Some may push the safety envelope a bit more than others but I have doubts there is any "magic alteration" that one knows and the others don't.
Again, as Johnnie B said, changing tire sizes will change final drive ratios. I would suggest you build the cart you want, with what you have, then see if you are satisfied. If not, I think you will find it easier to sell a complete cart as to trying to sell parts.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #14
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Well it was an exiting afternoon. I have several hilly miles I can ride near my house. I averaged 20-25mph and hit 29 one quick time.

I didn't hold down the throttle on down hills, only coasted. I didn't need to!

My big concern though, I measured the temp with a wireless temp gun and the motor read 160 degrees! Is that very bad? Or ok for a modified motor?

From what I've looked at so far, that's a little high. I'll call emp and ask, but does anyone know if that's ok?

I think I'm ok for now in the speed dept. I really need to move on to safety. Brakes, steering etc.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #15
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

I just looked on the maps app and did the math, I think I drove around 11 miles. The voltage was down to 48.something. So thats 50-60% charge left if I'm thinking correctly.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

160f is sweet, i wish all builds would/could stay that cool.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:25 AM   #17
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
160f is sweet, i wish all builds would/could stay that cool.

That's good to hear. It was like a new toy, so we rode it hard for nearly a couple hours. I love food so I'm not skinny, my brother in law is heavy also. My son weighs 100.

It carried close to 640lbs at 17-20mph, even up inclines.

I got the real speeds with just me and my son on it. It was hitting 25 pretty easy.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #18
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Keep in mind the drive train was built to handle two average golfers, (approx. 375 to 400 lbs) and two bags. Carrying an excess of weight for long periods will certainly expedite the demise of the primary parts. You may want to look into disc brakes for the rear. Conversion kits run around $350 and make a huge difference.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
I just looked on the maps app and did the math, I think I drove around 11 miles. The voltage was down to 48.something. So thats 50-60% charge left if I'm thinking correctly.
Your thinking is correct, but the devil is in the details.
Start with fully charged batteries, or close to it. (Should read about 50.9V roughly 12 hours after charger shuts off.
Drive about 10 miles or so, as measured by GPS or GPS app. Measured to nearest 1/10 mile if possible.
Let batteries rest about 30 minutes and then measure pack voltage again.
With that information, your cart's range can be estimated.

Only 11 miles is a bit short for new batteries, but new batteries have to be broken in before they will store their rated capacity, so the range ought to improve some after the first dozen or so charge cycles.

What model Trojan 8V batteries do you have?

------------
FWIW: Max recommended case temperature for motors with Class-H insulation is 239°F, so at 160°F your motor is running relatively cool.

The heat is actually produced in the windings, so measuring the case temperature is an indirect measurement, but the best we can do without having temperature sensor embedded in the windings. The thing to remember is that it takes some time for the heat to get from the windings to the case, so case temperature may rise some for several minutes after the cart stops after a hard run.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

T-875 trojan, I only had one charge on them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO