lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default D&D ES-58 or AMD 7114 Beast

Think I've narrowed my choice down to these two motors with the help of the fine members here.

I can get the ES-58 for $630 shipped or the beast for $510 shipped. Price isn't too much of a deal breaker for me, but having that extra $120 in my pocket would be nice. The goal is to have good torque and still achieve around 20mph. Both motors seem comparable and I can't decide which one to go with it. Justify the extra $120 for the D&D vs the beast for me. Please give me some opinions/feedback on these motors.

I'll be running 48V, 2ga cables, SW202 reversing contactor, HD solenoid, 22" tires and 6" lift.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: D&D ES-58 or AMD 7114 Beast

Bump. Anything?
Old 07-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Hawkeye00
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Actually looking at the same two motors for my cart. I noticed this post after search and saw that it was a year old. Sooooo... which did you chose and are you happy with choice?
Thanks
Hawkeye00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Hawkeye00, PM replied.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
webhair
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Hawkeye00, PM replied.
I am curious what motor you ended up going with?
webhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhair View Post
I am curious what motor you ended up going with?
"Custom 19hp D&D high torque motor".

He went with the ES-58. Both are great options. I personally went with AMD 7114 because I felt it would do what I wanted. Pleasently surprised it actually exceeded my expectations. Can't go wrote with either IMO
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Yes, I know this is an old thread. I also am comparing these same 2 motors and like to keep the same topics in the same place for convenience of us all. Can anyone provide the specs on the ES-58? I'm leaning heavily on this motor but currently have the old Beast (GE-D395). If the current AMD 7114 is equal or better, I'd order it now because the GE was in fact a beast and served me well.

Tried a PQ custom torque motor but it fell far short of of the old GE D395 and I was refunded. Don't know why but that's a separate issue. Are the bad bearing issues a thing of the past with D&D? Does the ES-58 require relocation of the shock mount due to length?

The sustained hp of the AMD 7114 is 11.4 but the peak for 48v at 400 AMPS is 19 hp according to a vendor's site I visited. PQ told me the AMD is built cheaper than the old GE. Something about parts being a molded/cast plastic/polymer vs metal in the original GE beast motor..
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

No, you don't have to relocate the stock shock with the ES-58. It's close, but not an issue.

I'm not sure what bearing issue you're referring to with the D&D motors, I haven't had any problems with mine, if fact never heard of any problems with their series motors. SepEx may be a different story???

Peak HP is 19 at 4300ish rpm, Peak torque is 69 ft/lbs at 1300 rpm with a 700amp controller and it feels instantaneous and powerful. I could pop wheelies if I wanted (which I don't). Top speed with 22" tires is 22 mph on flat pavement, but have reached 24 mph on a long stretch.

Most time is spent creeping in the woods and I've had zero issues with this motor.

Any other questions, just ask.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
SEHunter
Gone Wild

I'm not sure of details on the bearing issue except it would be the armature bearing as it's the only bearing in there AFAIK. There were a handful of threads I read about that in but they were dated 7 or 8 years ago. If it was an issue, I assume it's been corrected by now.

I wish I had the ft lb specs on the AMD-7114, all I've found is hp ratings and rpm which are similar to the D&D. I'm probably going to call D&D today. My controller is an Alltrax SR-48600 which is rated at 600 AMPS but in peak output mode it's like 670 or 680.

If I were to get the ES-58 and it not feel strong compared to my old GE beast, as much as I hate to because of additional cost, I'll look at the FSIP 700 controller like you have because my PQ torque motor was a stump puller with the FSIP according to Robby but felt like a stock motor in my cart so I ended up returning it. That still bugs the crap out of me. Something had to be off.

Did you find your specs on the internet or from D&D when you purchased? Does it also have another ID/part number similar to what's on their site or is it always referred to as ES-58?
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

You'll need to call D&D to order it. Ask to speak with Vic in engineering and he'll give you all the specs you need.

ES-58 is the ID number and will not be found on any website like D&Ds shelf motors. All their custom motors start with ES.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car