lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Are these solenoid clicks normal?

Have a 93 CC DS converted to solid state and wired per the diagram on this page (http://www.cartsunlimited.net/troubl...ion-kit--.html). Note that the instructions say the key switch wire should go to the pack main positive, but the diagram has it going to the large terminal of the solenoid, which is where I have it, but don't think it matters. Cart has these upgrades:

48V
FSIP 700 amp controller
400 amp solenoid
potentiometer
Heavy duty F&R switch
4" lift
23" tires
Battery pack is fully charged

When I turn the key on, the solenoid clicks if F&R switch is in either forward or reverse. When I flip the switch, it clicks. When I press the accelerator, it clicks. Seems like a lot of clicking to me, but maybe I am wrong.

I get that it clicks when you press the accelerator, as that would make sense to me, as power goes from the potentiometer microswitch to the solenoid. But why all the other clicking? I'm also having trouble getting it running, yet again, so wondering whether this may be why. I've done all the other tests except a motor test and everything checks out. The motor is brand new and was just used about a week ago. I drove it into the shed, turned everything off, and left. When I came back, nothing. I had just finished replacing the solenoid diode and potentiometer microswitch. I ran it around the yard one time and then put it up. Who knows. This thing is driving me crazy.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are these solenoid clicks normal?

I think you may be connected on the wrong posts at the potentiometer (pot). The pot has a 3 blade switch. Connect the 2 wires to the outside terminals in any order... just leave the center pin empty

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't think that's it because I checked this per the second page of this thread (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...off-why-2.html) and the cart ran. I didn't change anything between it ran and when it didn't Maybe I still didn't connect them right. I will check again.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
Have a 93 CC DS converted to solid state and wired per the diagram on this page (http://www.cartsunlimited.net/troubl...ion-kit--.html). Note that the instructions say the key switch wire should go to the pack main positive, but the diagram has it going to the large terminal of the solenoid, which is where I have it, but don't think it matters. You are correct. The main battery cable goes to the solenoid and this is where the key source wire should be connected. This is essentially the same as the battery main at the other end of this cable.

48V
FSIP 700 amp controller
400 amp solenoid
potentiometer
Heavy duty F&R switch
4" lift
23" tires
Battery pack is fully charged

When I turn the key on, the solenoid clicks if F&R switch is in either forward or reverse. When I flip the switch, it clicks. When I press the accelerator, it clicks. This indicates the wires on the potentiometer are on the wrong terminals. The pot ms has 2 wires connected to the 3 terminals. The center terminal should be empty. You have a wire on the center terminal. That's all

I get that it clicks when you press the accelerator, as that would make sense to me, as power goes from the potentiometer microswitch to the solenoid. But why all the other clicking? I'm also having trouble getting it running, yet again, so wondering whether this may be why. I've done all the other tests except a motor test and everything checks out. The motor is brand new and was just used about a week ago. I drove it into the shed, turned everything off, and left. When I came back, nothing. I had just finished replacing the solenoid diode and potentiometer microswitch. I ran it around the yard one time and then put it up. Who knows. This thing is driving me crazy.
I hope this helps
Old 09-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

scotty,

You nailed it, so I am feeling pretty stupid. I just didn't think that would be it because when I reconnected everything a couple of weeks ago, it ran just fine. I don't know what happened. Anyway, I took the potentiometer out and looked at the microswitch more closely and sure enough, I had them on the wrong terminals. All is good now. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good news - you gotta love an easy fix. Happy Trails
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car