lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Make my own battery cables??

I bought my cables from ScottyB! He made them to the lengths I needed for my Lithium pack. Yes I could have made them myself but I would have had to invest in the proper tools. I am very happy with the build quality and fast service.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubber View Post
By the time I buy the proper crimping device, cable ends, welding cable, bolt for OBC, etc. How much do I save? I see the price of a full set up from a sponsor like Scotty B and I get sticker shock. But I will have a learning curve. Not afraid of doing this. But want to know it will be worth it. I have four carts and would do this for threee of them.
Do you not have a Propane Hand Torch? You can use a Hacksaw to cut the cable and if you solder the logs on with the pre-sized solder slugs you don't even need to guess how much solder is enough solder... I bought cable, lugs, solder-slugs and heat-shrink all from www.delcity.com I soldered all but one connector in the bench vise and test pulled them all after cooling, soldered the last one after passing through the OBC while under the cart...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I bought my cables from ScottyB! He made them to the lengths I needed for my Lithium pack. Yes I could have made them myself but I would have had to invest in the proper tools. I am very happy with the build quality and fast service.
There is a learning curve for soldering. Just like welding or brazing. Proper components, tools, sequence and application are critical to getting a solid connection. I had 30 yrs of soldering and welding experience before I started making cables for sale.
I have had my process temperature monitored through a complete set. The working temp did not vary more than 10º from optimum on any process. (on that day) I have had my cables tested by our own JohnnieB, retired NASA electrical testing instructor. They passed.
You can do it too if you are experienced. If you are not experienced in this field, a crimp connection may be the best option for you. We have helped trouble shoot some botched homemade cables here in the past. Good Luck and have fun
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Make my own battery cables??

I have always crimped and soldered then used military grade shrink tube for the final measure of protection from corrosion. Never had a failure.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #15
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I made my own 4 gauge cables for my cart. I picked up the wire, terminals, and heat shrink all at my local hardware and seed store. I used the Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper and it worked very well. I found the process to be fun and self satisfying.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
wards75
Getting Wild

Club Car

+1000 @teecro. Exact same thing I did..worked perfectly. It's not rocket science and we're not building pianos...😆😆😆
wards75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car