lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
FlatlanderKS
Not Yet Wild

Default surging issues

my 96 gas Club Car starts and runs fine but after it warms up a bit the engine wants to surge, RPM's go way up and then down, does this at full throdle but not so much at half. Also, when starting, the starter will move the cart alot before it starts, is belt to tight?
thanks for your help!

Last edited by FlatlanderKS; 11-20-2016 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: miss spell
FlatlanderKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: surging issues

If your starter is moving the cart while trying to start, yes, your main drive belt is too tight. That belt should be loose and pretty much just hanging there when the cart is not running, so much so that you can remove it by hand without any tools or bracket adjustments. I'd start there and see of that corrects your other problem with surging, they may be related. You should be able to loosen the motor mounts and slide the motor back towards the axle in order to loosen the belt tension (that's how the belt is adjusted on my '87).

Did you just buy that cart and it already has this issue? Or did you do something to it? Or did it just start having this issue on it's own?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
FlatlanderKS
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, yes I just bought the cart from a golf course, I knew it had an issue but could not be to bad, it would start and run and all other areas of the cart were good, Plus I could not pass up the price $275.00.
Tires are good and stearing is tight and body is good. I will try the belt adjustment when I get a chance. I noticed that right off that either it was to tight or the wrong belt had been put on it. Will Keep you informed how it goes. Thanks Again
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
FlatlanderKS
Not Yet Wild

looking here, I found that my cart is a 99 not 96 like I thought. I finally got a few moments to look at the belt that a forum member said may be to tight or wrong belt. This was in response to my saying the cart moves a lot when starting. The belt looks newish to me but I found no name of a manufacture, just made in the USA with 3 sets of numbers. the numbers 185 0703 1349. Where would I go to check if this is the right belt?. I tried to slip it off by hand and it was to tight to get it to roll off. Thanks
Old 11-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yeah you should be able to roll that belt off with no tools except your hands, by just rolling it up onto the edge of the driven clutch and off. I haven't looked into your belt number, but you should check the center-to-center distance between the two clutches, it should be 9 5/8". If it's greater than that, the belt may not be the issue.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I looked into the part number and it appears your belt is referred to as a #1349 drive belt, which fits 1992-up Club Car DS and Precedent golf carts, so it seems to be the right belt. I'd now double check that center-to-center clutch distance I explained in my earlier post.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I think there might be a different problem here...

On a 99, the engine is mounted directly to the Unitized transaxle,
so there's no engine/clutch distance adjustment, it WILL be 9-5/8"

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
FlatlanderKS
Not Yet Wild

Springbok and Lockman1 thanks for the input! I will see what it measures and get back. So I measure from center to center right? I was looking for adjustment points on mount bolts and didn't see much wiggle room. Its Never easy is it LOL
Old 11-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes, center-to-center.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
FlatlanderKS
Not Yet Wild

Just to be sure, should I measure from the center of the end shafts or the insides of the pully's? Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car