lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Floutier84
Not Yet Wild

Default How's my battery test

I have 6x8V US Batteries (June 2016). Took them to full charge, sat for about 16 hours.
Each battery is sitting at 8.7V and all 6 at once are at 52.6
Took a reading of all 6 with the cart at max throttle. Reading dropped to about 48, then rose to 49V after about 7-8 seconds.
From what I've read, the individual voltage sounds about right (even a little high), just wanted to make sure that sounds right under load.

On another note, after being plugged into the charger, they batteries are reading 65.8V and I hear lighting bubbling inside the batteries. Water levels are good. Does all that sound normal?
Thanks!
Floutier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: How's my battery test

Everything seems fine and good with your batteries

Wow 65 volts? Did the pack show that right after plugging in the charger? I've never seen 48v cart go that high while charging
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Floutier84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
Everything seems fine and good with your batteries

Wow 65 volts? Did the pack show that right after plugging in the charger? I've never seen 48v cart go that high while charging
As soon as the charger came on it read about 53V, then after about 20 mins (About 5 mins before the charger shut off with full charge) they read 65V.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow I could be completely wrong, but then again I never checked pack voltage a few minutes before the charger turns off. 65 volts just seems really strange. Usually when I charge the 48v carts overnight and check them in the morning they are at their 50 51 volts. I had no idea the charger puts out that much during its charging cycle
Old 03-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wait, are you saying it only charged for 25 minutes and after that the pack was reading 65 volts? If that's the case that doesn't seem right. Are they brand new?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Floutier84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
Wait, are you saying it only charged for 25 minutes and after that the pack was reading 65 volts? If that's the case that doesn't seem right. Are they brand new?
The batteries are less than a year old. It only took 25 mins to charge because I ran the cart for about 2 mins after a full charge so they were probably atalomst full charge still. As soon as the charger turned off the pack read about 52.8
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Dlab
Gone Wild

I have the same batts and they float charge at 53 volts. They shouldn't get to 65 at any point. What charger do you have? Water levels ok? Voltage always drops under load, but should pick right backup when stopped.

The reason I ask about the charger is that US Batteries use a different algorithm to charge. I fought with 6 volt US Batteries for 4 years before I realized my charger wasn't charging them right......My new pack has a DPI that can be set to US specs. No boil over so far.

Fully charge them, unplug it, and get a reading after 8-12 hours. Should be 51.19 or a tad higher
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 PM   #8
Floutier84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
I have the same batts and they float charge at 53 volts. They shouldn't get to 65 at any point. What charger do you have? Water levels ok? Voltage always drops under load, but should pick right backup when stopped.

The reason I ask about the charger is that US Batteries use a different algorithm to charge. I fought with 6 volt US Batteries for 4 years before I realized my charger wasn't charging them right......My new pack has a DPI that can be set to US specs. No boil over so far.

Fully charge them, unplug it, and get a reading after 8-12 hours. Should be 51.19 or a tad higher
Yea, like my original post states, 12-16 hours after a full charge it's around 52V.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floutier84 View Post
Yea, like my original post states, 12-16 hours after a full charge it's around 52V.
Sorry I missed that. If it performs good I don't see a problem. That peak charge seems high, but everything else seems right.......
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 PM   #10
Floutier84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
Sorry I missed that. If it performs good I don't see a problem. That peak charge seems high, but everything else seems right.......
Right on, thanks man. I'd don't mean to come across short. I appreciate your input.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car