lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How's my battery test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floutier84 View Post
As soon as the charger came on it read about 53V, then after about 20 mins (About 5 mins before the charger shut off with full charge) they read 65V.
Reading taken while the cart is charging are good for scaring those who don't know that during the normal charging sequence can easily reach 65 volts and higher depending on battery brand and charger settings...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #12
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Reading taken while the cart is charging are good for scaring those who don't know that during the normal charging sequence can easily reach 65 volts and higher depending on battery brand and charger settings...
lol don't know if that was directed at me, but I don't typically have the luxury of measuring pack voltage throughout the charging sequence, so I never knew during the final stages it gets that high. What surprised me was his pack got that high after only 25 minutes, and he said after a full charge he drove it for a couple minutes. I wouldn't think the charger would have to put out that much just to make up for two minutes worth of driving. I figured it would be putting out fairly low after that.
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #13
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Floutier84,

You should be able to find your US Battery data sheet at www.usbattery.com. This data sheet will give you the recommended changing voltages for the Bulk Charge, Absorption Charge, Optional Float Charge and Equalization Charge.

I have 8 pieces of 6 volt US Batteries (US125XC2) in my cart. With my old 1998 vintage Lestronic II Charger (rated at 48 V nominal x 25 DC amps), I have seen a maximum of 64.8 volts at 17.5 amps.

Using my new Lester Summit charger (rated at 48 v nominal x 21 amp maximum), the highest charging voltage I have noted is 61.7 volts (it may have gone higher but I did not record it).

The spec sheet for my batteries indicates a maximum voltage of 60 v (for the 8 batteries in series) for the Bulk and Absorption Charge and 62.4 v for the Equalization Charge (all at 80 deg F). Adjusting to 30 deg F (my charging temperature this winter), increases the charging voltage by 3.4 volts, thus maximum voltages are 63.4 v and 65.8 v accordingly for the above charge cycles.

Short answer … check your battery spec sheet … 65.8 volts may be at the top end of your battery rating!

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #14
Floutier84
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Floutier84,

You should be able to find your US Battery data sheet at www.usbattery.com. This data sheet will give you the recommended changing voltages for the Bulk Charge, Absorption Charge, Optional Float Charge and Equalization Charge.

I have 8 pieces of 6 volt US Batteries (US125XC2) in my cart. With my old 1998 vintage Lestronic II Charger (rated at 48 V nominal x 25 DC amps), I have seen a maximum of 64.8 volts at 17.5 amps.

Using my new Lester Summit charger (rated at 48 v nominal x 21 amp maximum), the highest charging voltage I have noted is 61.7 volts (it may have gone higher but I did not record it).

The spec sheet for my batteries indicates a maximum voltage of 60 v (for the 8 batteries in series) for the Bulk and Absorption Charge and 62.4 v for the Equalization Charge (all at 80 deg F). Adjusting to 30 deg F (my charging temperature this winter), increases the charging voltage by 3.4 volts, thus maximum voltages are 63.4 v and 65.8 v accordingly for the above charge cycles.

Short answer … check your battery spec sheet … 65.8 volts may be at the top end of your battery rating!

Regards, 3CW
Thanks I'll check that out. Does that mean it's a bad thing to be at the high end of the charging voltage?
Cart is running fine and is operating in the standard voltage (as far as I know). Just want to make sure I'm not ruining them during charging.
Floutier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:31 AM   #15
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floutier84 View Post
Thanks I'll check that out. Does that mean it's a bad thing to be at the high end of the charging voltage?
Cart is running fine and is operating in the standard voltage (as far as I know). Just want to make sure I'm not ruining them during charging.
Your batteries are fine bud
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car