lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
4wilsons
Not Yet Wild

Default What is the 48v relay for?

Ok, let me try and word this so you guys understand. I recently got the brake light switch that hooks to rod under the floor. It came with a 48v 4 pole relay.
What exactly is the relay used for? I know what relays are used for but not sure on this one. I'm not using new wiring harnesses. I was told that the brakes won't work without, but they do. If it's a 48v relay, does that mean that the whole 48v goes into it? Wouldn't that also mean that 48v comes out when switched? Wouldn't the 48v blow the lights and switches out?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, it's a 09 precedent 4x12
4wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What is the 48v relay for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wilsons View Post
If it's a 48v relay, does that mean that the whole 48v goes into it? Wouldn't that also mean that 48v comes out when switched? Wouldn't the 48v blow the lights and switches out?
It is most likely a 48V relay that switches 12V. In other words the trigger operates on 48V, to pull its signal from the whole battery pack, and that switches 12V to the lights from the DC-DC converter.

As to where it is positioned, I'll leave that to the experts.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This may help:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1248540
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
4wilsons
Not Yet Wild

That does get me going in the right direction. I think I'm better off using an automotive 12v relay since I'm using my Own wiring? So how does the relay take 48v and cut it to 12v so it's safe for the lights?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
4wilsons
Not Yet Wild

Or I may need a larger voltage reducer. I have the rhox turn signal switch and if I cycle the light on quickly from off-park-head it must blow a resettable breaker in the reducer as it will click, turns lights off then turn back on and the underbodies turn on with it. If I turn it to park then wait a few seconds and turn lights on it will be ok. So I thinking the quick draw throws it
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
4wilsons
Not Yet Wild

Or I suppose I could run the power wire to the brake switch from one of the wires in dash that gets 12v key on?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The relay keeps the brake lights from illuminating when the key switch is off. It doesn't reduce power in any way. It uses 48 volts to turn it on and off. When it's on, it makes a connection between the NO post and the COM post.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
4wilsons
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The relay keeps the brake lights from illuminating when the key switch is off. It doesn't reduce power in any way. It uses 48 volts to turn it on and off. When it's on, it makes a connection between the NO post and the COM post.
Gotcha. I got it now, thanks

Tags
48v, car, club, led, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car