lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Default Re: All Cables not the same?

Factors that affect price of 'raw material' of cables.
>AWG
>Conductor AWG
>Conductor Count
>Conductor Material (and plating)
>Insulation material and thickness (water, oil, acid resistances etc)

>Terminal Material and Plating
>Terminal Crimp Style & Construction, (die stamped, extruded, tube, etc)

Labor costs go up with soldering added...makes for a better connection thus higher quality. Add shrink tube insulation and some labels.

Higher conductor count with smaller conductors in the same size cable makes it more flexibility and potentially less impedance allowing for better current flow. Current tends to flow closer to the "surface" of conductors. So more surface area is less resistance.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #12
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
Factors that affect price of 'raw material' of cables.
>AWG
>Conductor AWG
>Conductor Count
>Conductor Material (and plating)
>Insulation material and thickness (water, oil, acid resistances etc)

>Terminal Material and Plating
>Terminal Crimp Style & Construction, (die stamped, extruded, tube, etc)

Labor costs go up with soldering added...makes for a better connection thus higher quality. Add shrink tube insulation and some labels.

Higher conductor count with smaller conductors in the same size cable makes it more flexibility and potentially less impedance allowing for better current flow. Current tends to flow closer to the "surface" of conductors. So more surface area is less resistance.

Excellent post, DC current more so than AC as well.many strands are always better than fewer. Exactly why I use welding cable, or whatever you would like to call it. In general though the price of a "Kit" will be extremely inflated. Same as if you bought a six pack of cokes one at a time at a gas station, you pay for convenience!
Banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #13
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

While I will agree that soldering is better, I will say that the benefit of soldering is miniscule compared to a solid crimp with a least a 10 ton crimper.
I used a crimper to build my new cables and then I sheared the end of one off to see how "tight" the crimp was. The cables inside looked like a solid copper bar, so no loss of flow.
I also used glued marine heat shrink and I will put my cables up against any soldered cable in a performance test...yes, the soldered ends may scientifically perform better, but in the real world with a golf cart, is that even noticeable?
I would suggest that it is not.
I replaced every 6 gauge cable on my IQ Precedent for less than $30 in supplies (All Temco products). Add in the $39 cost of the HF Crimper and I'm at $69 for the set of 4 gauge cables Plus I had the pleasure of building the set myself.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
While I will agree that soldering is better, I will say that the benefit of soldering is miniscule compared to a solid crimp with a least a 10 ton crimper.
I was operating under the assumption both methods were to be used in the same application. A nice solid crimp with tube formed terminals then a little solder to fill the gaps, if any.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #15
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

And you have a new tool out of it!
Banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

These comparison threads always get heated up, so my comment applies to both crimped and/or soldered cables.

The strand count on these cables have nothing to do with "skin effect" since the strands are not insulated from each other, so there is no difference in "surface area" from stranded to solid cable.

Also "pulsed DC" behaves very different than AC current for the "skin effect" calculation of high frequency wave forms.

The main reason is that the average DC voltage of AC is 0v and pulsed DC is proportional to the PWM duty-cycle so only the portion of the voltage above the average DC is affected by the "skin effect" and it only occurs at very low PWM duty cycles where the current demand is low anyway.

High strand cable is good for flexibility, but don't get overboard on the strand count as the extremely thin strands are easier to get damaged.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #17
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hey, we can start a new thread like on the truck forums...

WHAT'S THE BEST OIL TO USE?

Then we can see things get heated!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #18
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditz View Post
And you have a new tool out of it!
Me like new tools!!!
Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
Hey, we can start a new thread like on the truck forums...

WHAT'S THE BEST OIL TO USE?

Then we can see things get heated!
Canola?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #20
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Come on!!!
I thought someone would say Amsoil.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car