lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
pinkfloydsound
Not Yet Wild

Default Possible bad MCOR.....maybe more?

I've searched through a ton of threads here but can't seem to find an answer to this issue.
I've a friend that has (was told by seller) a late 90's CC custom cart for golf course use.....new body, controller (D&D is all I can see on it),stereo, 48v running 4-12's. It runs around 20mph & has been trouble-free since he bought it four months ago. In the last week he started having an issue where he would come to a stop & it would still keep creeping forward. To combat this, he would switch to neutral (instead of turning the key off which would kill the music). Yesterday we noticed a burning smell & stopped to investigate. The solenoid was very hot.....batt cables just warm.....controller felt hot but it's attached to the heat sink right below the solenoid........& it won't go as fast now.
So I'm trying to help him trouble shoot this but I'm more familiar with gas carts than electric. Bottom line:
With cart in "F" or "R", as soon as you turn the key on (accel not depressed) the solenoid closes (can actually see it as the Curtis 'noid is missing its top.....looks very clean though)......it creeps w/o depressing the accelerator..........& it has an "electrical" burning smell after running it but we can't pinpoint exactly what it is. Top speed has dropped to around 15mph. All connections, including the motor, are secure, & there are no visible burn marks or melting on anything. Batts are all at 12.5-12.6.
Could this be a two-fold issue? Or simply just a bad MCOR?
pinkfloydsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Possible bad MCOR.....maybe more?

Have you checked the MCOR? Meaning probed it to see what is coming out of it in regards to ohms? Do you here it click? And are you sure it is an MCOR and not a V-glide/Potentiometer?

Need to look under the dash and verify the year and post up the serial # as late 90's could be '96 and up and it could have any of the above mentioned accelerator controls.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Its got 4 12volts in it? Maybe its not a late 90s cart
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
pinkfloydsound
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Have you checked the MCOR? Meaning probed it to see what is coming out of it in regards to ohms? Do you here it click? And are you sure it is an MCOR and not a V-glide/Potentiometer?

Need to look under the dash and verify the year and post up the serial # as late 90's could be '96 and up and it could have any of the above mentioned accelerator controls.
No, we didn't..........yes, it has an MCOR. I didn't have my VOM with me & I suggested we not start taking stuff apart until we investigate it a little more.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
pinkfloydsound
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
That's what I told him. He knows the guy he bought it from & that's what he told him.
I was skeptical of the 4-12's, & the fact that you never know what someone was thinking, but the build looks pretty clean. The guy even put disc brakes on the front. He also wired in an inverter which sits in the back basket......charge it anywhere, just need an extension cord & 120.
Like I said, it has been running great since he got it. It hasn't rained up here for almost 2 months so it hasn't gotten wet.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Unhook the two wire connector on the mcor. If that keeps it from engaging you have a bad mcor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
pinkfloydsound
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Unhook the two wire connector on the mcor. If that keeps it from engaging you have a bad mcor.
OK.......thank you.
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I'll update our progress.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Good point - that was '04 to '08.5.....

If he posts the serial number we will know for sure....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car