lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Split lock washers

In all my years of dc electrical work we had one common absolute...no lock washers. Now as I help my neighbors with their cart problems I find split steel lock washers being installed by the local golf cart dealers when installing new batteries and cables. What I find is after repeated heating and cooling these washers loose tension and we end up with melted battery posts, loose connections causing resistance and loss of speed and so on....am I wrong?😎
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Split lock washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
In all my years of dc electrical work we had one common absolute...no lock washers. Now as I help my neighbors with their cart problems I find split steel lock washers being installed by the local golf cart dealers when installing new batteries and cables. What I find is after repeated heating and cooling these washers loose tension and we end up with melted battery posts, loose connections causing resistance and loss of speed and so on....am I wrong?😎
I would say you are right. I would never use split lock washers on battery terminals. Star lock washers would be better but may damage the cable terminal.

I have serrated flange nuts on mine now, but notice they also tend to damage the cable terminals. But I like the secure connection regardless.

A smooth flange nut is possibly a better way to secure cable terminals without damage. These can even be used with solid copper flat washers for a heat flexible connection. I would regularly tighten all connections made with a smooth flange nut.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
crash test dummy

they are shipped from Trojan with new batteries

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...l-washers.html
Old 10-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

These should be the ideal battery terminal nuts.

No lock washer needed, secure from loosening, stainless steel, inexpensive.

http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Det...x?product=7404
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
What I find is after repeated heating and cooling these washers loose tension and we end up with melted battery posts
Maybe I am missing something. The battery posts shouldnt be getting hot enough to alter the physical properties of steel. If everything is sized properly and free of corrosion, the wires and post should get warm at best.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

It has to do with vibrations loosening the nut and causing connection issues.
Opps, I see it references the heating and cooling of the terminal.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
Maybe I am missing something. The battery posts shouldnt be getting hot enough to alter the physical properties of steel. If everything is sized properly and free of corrosion, the wires and post should get warm at best.
agreed. battery post would melt long before the washer changed properties
i've had lock washers on my batteries for 7 years
as for vibration? that's exactly why you should have lock washers
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think the battery connection qualifies as "high-vibration", but I think the main issue with "locking" anything is specific to the "stud" battery posts.

Anything that causes torque on the stud by itself is a bad thing for the studs embedded in lead, the "nyloc" would be the worst followed by the split lock washers.

Those devices can eventually cause the stud to get loose, of course that is assuming You are constantly removing the battery cables....

I think for practical purposes anything or nothing at all between the nut and the lug will perform the same.

As mentioned, checking the torque on those nuts is a periodically good preventive maintenance measure.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
HBR
Gone Wild

I have had electric carts for around 15 years. Many of the paths are quite bumpy with the tree roots pushing the asphalt up. I have only ever used plain stainless nuts and have never had one come loose.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock washers
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car