lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Engine sputters/bogs at top speed

My cart sputters/bogs down intermittently when I hit top speed. It also backfires randomly. It’s a Kawasaki 350 engine ........I think. Anybody got any thoughts on this situation? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jason E is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Engine sputters/bogs at top speed

Welcome to BGW Jason!

It sounds like it's bouncing off of the rev limiter,
(engine shuts down at max speed, then fires back up when the engine RPM's slow down)
It usually happens when someone adjusts the governor too much, or zip ties the governor spring.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for input Lockman. I suspected that was the case. Should I be concerned about potentially damaging the engine because of this adjustment? Any suggestions on how I can go about adjusting the governor so it runs smoother?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After reading up a little more I’m thinking my carts governor has been adjusted too much and the rev limiter is kicking in. I really don’t need to go really fast (it does 25mph right now) ideally I’d like to go about 20mph smoothly. Anybody got any advice on how to go about doing this?

Edit: the spring hasn’t been zip tied but I know the guy I bought this thing from did make adjustments to the govener. I need advice on how to go about adjusting it back down. Thanks in advance folks.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry Re: Engine sputters/bogs at top speed

I got the cart running smooth after a few minor adjustments on the throttle cable and adjustment screw for what I think is the governor cable. But now I’m a little concerned on possible excess wear on the motor from being maxed out by someone who obviously doesn’t know what they are doing (aka.... the jackass I bought it from). Any body have any thoughts/opinions on the toughness of the Kawasaki 350 engine?

Edit: prior to my adjustments the cart was sputtering/backfiring/and seemed to be running very rich. Now after my adjustments it’s running very smooth at all speeds and doesn’t reek of gas while/after driving. Could I potentially be looking at a major overhaul of this engine in the near future? Considering what I paid for this thing I’m not interested in dropping another 1-2k to rebuild or replace the engine on this thing. I’d prefer to spend the money on accessories....
Old 11-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If it's running good and not smoking I wouldn't worry about it these things can take a beating and still keep on trucking
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
If it's running good and not smoking I wouldn't worry about it these things can take a beating and still keep on trucking

I've run my "slightly modified" FE350 to it's extreme at times, and it still runs great!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Jason E
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sooooo....... I ended up having a mobile golf cart repair guy come out to figure out the isssue I was having with my cart. Turns out the starter was wired wrong so it was actually draining the battery instead of charging it. This unfortunately also killed the starter which is why it wouldn’t run. So now after 3weeks of having a very expensive lawn ornament, we now have a fully functional 6 seater.
I have 2 minor issues that remain that I’m hoping I can figure out with a little help from the gurus here on BGW. I suspect the concerns I have stem from the same problem. The cart is backfiring and smells like it is running rich. I was expecting SOME exhaust smell but it seems to be a little excessive. Anybody got any thoughts on what may be the issue and any guidance on how to resolve it? Thanks in advance folks and have a great Turkey Day!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car