lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Carryall Turf 2

Hi guys,

I'm rebuilding a 2000 Turf 2 with the FE350 to use around the farm. It's got a NASTY oil leak coming from somewhere near the bottom, haven't really looked at it yet. But runs GREAT for about a minute, then loses spark completely. Then I shifted it to reverse, spark returned instantly, then disappeared again. Then back to forward and still no dice. When it sparks it's very strong. Normally I'd think ignition coil and not think twice about it, but i was reading about a brown wire on the rev limiter. Is this the one on a ring terminal? I did disconnect that and it didn't make any difference.

Is there anywhere I can get a wiring diagram or a service manual for this thing? Apparently in 2000.5 they changed something and it's not the same. I'm pretty sure it would be the earlier version, serial number is 0013 (13th week of 2000). What week did they change to the 2000.5?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall Turf 2

Try bypassing the limit switch on the shift lever.

Which side is the oil leak on?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Which switch is that? Theres 2 of them there. I was hoping to find a wiring diagram or service manual so I know what I'm looking at, but not much out there for a carryall and I know it's a different motor than a DS so didnt think much would carry over...

Oil leak appears to be coming from higher on the motor, behind the clutches somewhere. Too many shrouds and stuff to see exactly where it's coming from but it's pretty substantial (and there may be more than one...). I'm gonna pull the motor out tonight so I can pull all the shrouds off and see if I can find it. I'm guessing the side case for the engine is either cracked, or leaking from the gasket. Doesnt appear to be coming from the head, its dry up there.

Heres a few pictures. The ground was dry yesterday afternoon when I parked it in there. And the seam in the 3rd picture I cleaned with brake cleaner and compressed air. Can see it seeping already in the pic, before I cleaned it you could watch it trickle there. I just cant see anything above it until I start taking it apart.

Officially neither the puppy nor the new golf cart are housebroken yet. My money is on the golf cart getting the hang if it first :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180820_133923.jpg (287.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180820_133941.jpg (323.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180820_141603.jpg (225.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nice!

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yeah that looks like a cover gasket leak. Pretty common. Not too difficult to reseal, just have to pull the motor out and take everything off the clutch side.

One of the switches is for the reverse buzzer. Usually lifting that one makes the buzzer come on. If you don't have battery power or the buzzer doesn't work, the reverse buzzer switch is only lifted when the lever is placed in reverse. The other switch is lifted in both F and R. That one is for the ignition and grounds the coil if you press the accelerator when the lever is in neutral. I've had to bypass that one on both of my key start carts because it they would randomly stall kinda like yours is doing. Moving the lever back and forth works the switch and allows it to run another few minutes.
No guarantee that's the problem, but it only takes a minute to make a jumper and then see if the problem persists. If the jumper fixes it, just leave the jumper in place!

No difference in the wiring on the motor. There are some differences in the cart wiring over the years. I assumed that yours is a key start, if it's not then I apologize. The main difference in the key start carts is some different wiring for the start switch, and the pedal and shift lever limit switches. Also there's an extra relay on the key start carts that opens the ground on the coil to keep the engine running. You can bypass the ignition kill circuit entirely by disconnecting the white/black wire from the relay, but then you need to have a kill switch to shut the engine off.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to bypass the switch and see what happens!

I'll figure out for sure what's leaking tonight when I get the motor up on the bench and get all those pesky covers off :) I've rebuilt countless small engines so oil leaks, while irritating due to the mess it makes on my floor, arent rely concerning.

Also, it's not key start. It has the starter/generator on top of the motor (which I prefer). But that shouldnt make any difference in ignition wiring I wouldnt think...

I'm just excited to have a carryall. I've always wanted one, you just dont see many of them. A full makeover and lift will be in the works for this one! I just gotta housebreak it and get it to run. The rest is gravy :)
Old 08-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Isn't the starter/generator in the same place regardless of key start or pedal start?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

2000-CARRYALL.pdf

You're electrical drawing will be found in this parts list
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That's good because the wire diagrams should be the same as a regular DS from that year, and much easier to find!

There really isn't much to leak on these. It's usually the main cover gasket, or the plug where the wire for the oil sender comes through.

And yes, starter gen is always on top. It works the same regardless of key start/pedal start.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Got it taken apart tonight... seriously... is the camshaft gear made of plastic??? Who does that!!!

Oil leak definitely appears to be coming from the cover. Crank seal is leaking too so I'll replace it while I'm there.

Does anyone have specs for the ignition coil? Should be something I can check with the meter while the motor is out and the coil is right in front of me...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car