lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2021, 12:07 AM   #31
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
So, I haven't hooked up either the mid-pack voltage or the pack temperature thermistor yet. I'm leaning towards the temperature sensor because of the freezing temps up here in Ohio during the winter. Then maybe switching to the mid-pack voltage during the rest of the year? I can take an occasional mid-pack voltage reading during winter to make sure all is well on battery row. Does that sound like sound thinking or am I missing something?
It seems to me that unless you have a charger that is capable of varying the charge in accordance with temperature then knowing what the temperature compensation should be is moot. I don't know what charger you have and, in Australia, I have little need to worry about temperature compensation (unless it gets too hot). So, I don't know a lot about applying temperature compensation but this blog is informative https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...-cold-weather/

From my point-of-view, monitoring the mid-point is more useful because it will quickly notify you via the alarm if there is any variation caused by a drying cell, for example. If you have a charger that can monitor and compensate for temperature then let it do that job.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #32
Timinator
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
It seems to me that unless you have a charger that is capable of varying the charge in accordance with temperature then knowing what the temperature compensation should be is moot. I don't know what charger you have and, in Australia, I have little need to worry about temperature compensation (unless it gets too hot). So, I don't know a lot about applying temperature compensation but this blog is informative https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...-cold-weather/

From my point-of-view, monitoring the mid-point is more useful because it will quickly notify you via the alarm if there is any variation caused by a drying cell, for example. If you have a charger that can monitor and compensate for temperature then let it do that job.
I'm going to have to dig a little deeper, but I "believe" the Victron gauge uses the temperature reading to calculate the efficiency of the energy in and out. Especially giving you an accurate count of amps hours used if the temperature is freezing or below vs it being in warm-hot out. Batteries don't perform anywhere near their peak performance when it's freezing and below and I'm "thinking" the gauge uses that reduction in power capability in it's calculations of how much energy is left and used in the battery bank. I think!
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #33
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

Quote:
What's pack voltage mean? Just kidding. It's going in a HuntVe 4x4 cart with 8 T145's and two 600amp controllers. So, lot's going on I liked to keep any eye on. I'll be in touch!

Hey I like your little riding buddy, I have one that size that loves it too
8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #34
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'm going to have to dig a little deeper, but I "believe" the Victron gauge uses the temperature reading to calculate the efficiency of the energy in and out. Especially giving you an accurate count of amps hours used if the temperature is freezing or below vs it being in warm-hot out. Batteries don't perform anywhere near their peak performance when it's freezing and below and I'm "thinking" the gauge uses that reduction in power capability in it's calculations of how much energy is left and used in the battery bank. I think!
Yes, you're right about the meter giving you information about the discharge rates and levels. I was thinking more about the charging and, of course, that will come from the charger rather than the Victron.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car