lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
M Threezy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 04 CC DS Front Axle/Bearing Mismatch

Just bought this 2004 Club Car DS. The lift was already installed. In an attempt to troubleshoot the sloppy steering, I found slack in the hubs, assuming the bearings were worn. I quickly bought some new ones and upon comparison they will give the same result as current bearings. The issue is that the axle and inner race of bearings don’t match. Looks as though the lift kit was for another cart with a smaller diameter axle (I’m guessing here). Unless there was a sleeve bushing that makes up the difference which would be uncommon. I’ve attached a pic with me pushing the bearing to illustrate the gap. Any ideas are appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B250120-0818-40E0-9F33-C1224B3D6155.jpg (11.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20DBA229-FFFC-4914-A2BE-500C606C46CD.jpg (17.7 KB, 0 views)
M Threezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 04 CC DS Front Spindle/Bearing Mismatch

There will be a number or dimensions stamped on the race. Check it and measure the axle with a dial indicator. You should be able to go to Motion Industries or NAPA and match one up to fit your axles.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You'll have to use a caliper on the spindle shaft and measure what size it is.
There are two different types of spindles used by club car. They changed the spindle design around that time frame your cart was built. The hub design changed with the spindles.

The older style is a 3/4" diameter with about a 3" spindle shaft (unthreaded section). The inner end has a 1.125" diameter collar where the inner grease seal makes contact with the spindle. These use tapered roller bearings, and are meant to be serviceable (greased). The hub has a metal dust cap to cover the open end.

The newer style is a 20mm diameter with a 2.5" shaft. These use sealed ball bearings and have a plastic dust cap. The hub width overall is narrower. (matches the shorter length spindle)

These two types are not interchangable. The hub has to match the spindle.

It looks to me like you have the older style spindle size, which uses a different hub than what you have. Problem is the older style spindle should have a castle nut and cotter pin hole in the threaded portion of the spindle to secure the bearing adjustment, and the threaded section should be the nearly the same diameter (about .02" smaller) as the non threaded part.
I can't tell exactly what you have because it looks like some combination of the two.
The diameter and length of the spindle shaft (non threaded section) will determine which hubs you need.
Is there a manufacturer name on the lift anywhere?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: 04 CC DS Front Axle/Bearing Mismatch

If you have calipers or a micrometer just measure them and order them from MSC or McMaster Carr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
M Threezy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the advice. I couldn’t find a name stamped anywhere on the lift, which I was really hoping for. The axle doesn’t have a hole for a castle nut or cotter. After measuring with my caliper and the descriptions you all have given, I think I’ve figured out. Apparently the lift doesn’t match the hubs (incorrect model/year) or vice versa. This would explain the slack in the bearing. That left me with two choices. Replace hubs and bearing with old style. Or find new bearings that fit in new style hub. Consequently I found some bearing that match the measurements of the old shaft and are sealed as well. They are a good bit more expensive that the old style admittedly, but won’t need to be packed.

The axle is 3/4 or 18.95mm

The bearings measure 47mm OD 14mm wide with 19.05 ID

Bearing number 6204-ZZ12

If these work, they would a replacement for the old style bearings in the old style hub. If they work. Otherwise, I’ll go back with the LM11910/LM11945 bearings. Will update as as soon as bearings show up
Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Sounds like that lift was a pre-'04 (sae) and you had a new style axles which should have had metric hubs with black plastic covers with sealed bearings.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
M Threezy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update. The bearings mentioned above work perfect. If you have the new style hubs and the old style axle, those bearing make a perfect fit.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

to BGW
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #9
Craig1458
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

if I have the older style spindle size with the cotter pin, what hub assembly should I be getting? I have ordered the 1011892, with the metal dust cap- but it wont fit. I cant find what front hub assembly to get. If I get the same replacement bearings as OP and put into the 1011892 hub assemble do you think I would be ok? I ask because my spindle has the cotter pin and I didn't think OP's did.

Last edited by Craig1458; 07-15-2021 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: more detail to differentiate from OP spindle
Craig1458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, clubcar, spindle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car