lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
4getgto
Not Yet Wild

Default I'm I overcharging ?

Hey all. I'm sure this was talked about before but not finding what I want.
I have a 99 DS 48 volt cart. And I use a PowerDrive 3 charger . I never run the batteries low and keep topped off but never seen my charger kick off automatically. I can hear the batteries bubbling a bit and checking the voltage at the batteries I get 62.1 volts but still charging at 6 amps on the charger. How do I
know if the charger is working correctly or should it charging longer ? I've never chanced it I just unplug it when I feel it's good . Individually the batteries all check good.

Just looking for a little advice and reassurance..

Thanks all.... Bill
4getgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
4getgto
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: I'm I overcharging ?

A little edit to my above post I see I'm down to 51.3 volts 15 minutes after disconnecting the charger. Assuming I'd see some drop..?
Old 09-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

how long are you let it charge for before pulling the plug ? voltage drop to 51.3 is fine . I charge mine over night and it is off in the morning .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have a big Lester that brings the batteries to 65v. I contacted Lester about this and they assured me that was okay so I contacted Trojan and they confirmed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
4getgto
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
how long are you let it charge for before pulling the plug ? voltage drop to 51.3 is fine . I charge mine over night and it is off in the morning .
Kinda depends how low it is . Sometimes two - three hours. I charge pretty often regardless of how much I use it ,which isn't much (10-15 minutes a day).
Just makes me nervous as I never seen it turn off...
Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did You ever let any charging cycle finish?

If the OBC never finished the initial charging profile analysis of the pack, it will not switch to the "coulomb counting" (energy in/out) charging method.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
4getgto
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have a big Lester that brings the batteries to 65v. I contacted Lester about this and they assured me that was okay so I contacted Trojan and they confirmed.
That's good to know. I had never let it run that high so maybe things are OK. Might just let it on and see what happens..

Just my thinking....48volt batteries and let charge to 65volts..makes me concerned.. IDK..
Old 09-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
4getgto
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Did You ever let any charging cycle finish?

If the OBC never finished the initial charging profile analysis of the pack, it will not switch to the "coulomb counting" (energy in/out) charging method.
Guess I never did. I bought this a couple months ago so I still learning some stuff.
Anything to do to correct this..?
Old 09-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just disconnect the pack negative cable for more than 10 minutes.

That will erase any information the OBC has about the "health status" of the pack and it will run an "analysis" charge cycle the first time you charge, that can take several hours.

Once the OBC has determined that it has enough information about the "health" of your pack, it will start using the amount of energy used since last charging cycle to calculate how long it needs to charge.

It is important that the pack negative cable is the only connection on the pack negative battery post and that the cable runs through the opening in the OBC.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
4getgto
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Just disconnect the pack negative cable for more than 10 minutes.

That will erase any information the OBC has about the "health status" of the pack and it will run an "analysis" charge cycle the first time you charge, that can take several hours.

Once the OBC has determined that it has enough information about the "health" of your pack, it will start using the amount of energy used since last charging cycle to calculate how long it needs to charge.

It is important that the pack negative cable is the only connection on the pack negative battery post and that the cable runs through the opening in the OBC.
Learning as we speak.
Assuming the "pack negative" is the last negative on the batteries .??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car