lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 87 CC ds 36v has charge wont go

Ok so I have a 87 CC ds 36volt that i picked up form a neighbors house after he passed (God rest his soul) his kids said because it was part of the estate they had to sell it to me. I was happy to spend the $25. My kids and I put in a new set of batteries cleaned all the wire ends put in a new solenoid. Only because it sat for so long (about 6 years) the casing on the solenoid was dry rotted and literally falling apart. Its been up and running for about a year now with no issues other than old tires needing air periodically. Now my boy and his friend were neighborhood cruising and brought it back dead as a door knob. we pushed it up to the house about 20 feet from its stopping point and i plugged it in. THe meter on the Club car charger (factory one) went up to 20 amps as it normally does and we left it charging. I came out of the house later that day about 3 hours and the charger was off. I thought this was odd as it usually runs longer. I went to move the cart and nothing in reverse and super snail slow in forward. I checked the pack voltage and it was around 40.9 after resting over night. We towed it to the barn and I changed the solenoid just because, checked the v-glide for any loose or melted wire locations (none found) and checked the water in the batteries. All water levels are where they need to be. Since I'm not an expert by any means, if anyone of you as you have in the past, can give me a suggestion I am all ears. Oh and the batteries are only about a year old. I'm trying to figure this one out while simultaneously converting my 92 to ScottyB's solid state package C54 with the HD solenoid and SW202.
NewtoBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Default Re: 87 CC ds 36v has charge wont go

put it back on the charger and report back what each battery is doing.
Also read each battery before charging and 2 hrs after.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Check the V Glide again. If it's only moving slowly that could be it.

Not moving in reverse might indicate a FNR problem.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #4
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will have to coax it into charging. not really a big deal. I will check the pack before charge as well as each battery. Then I will check each battery while its charging. I have another FnR from the 92 I'm converting. I could possibly switch that. I will look at the v-glide again, but I have been through at least a half dozen on the 92 that I'm converting to solid state and am pretty sure I didn't miss something but doesn't hurt to look again. Thanks for the input and i will get back to you.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If your 36 volt pack reads over 40 volts the batteries are not your problem.

What do you mean you will have to "coax" it into charging?

What makes you think you have a battery problem?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

the auto charger needs to be disconnected from the cart and then reconnected for the charger to kick on. Pretty normal stuff. No issues with the charging system that i'm aware of. Just a sarcastic comment by me no issues there sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
morvolts2
Gone Wild

doesnt 87 have micro switches and solenoids vs V glide?
I think I have an 87 that has solenoids vs V glide,maybe wrong on the year as tag is missing.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

morvolts2 - my 87 is set up just like my 92 was with one solenoid and v-glide and a resistor coil. There is a microswitch in the v-glide as well as the FnR switch.

The battery numbers- today the pack charge was 38.6v at rest before putting charger on it. After plugging in the charger and letting run for a couple minutes, I noted the pack showing 44.6v.

Each battery in counterclockwise manner from driver side go as follows:
Batt 1 - 7.59v, Batt 2 - 7.52v, Batt 3 - 7.55v, Batt 4, 7.69 v, Batt 5 - 7.69 v, and Batt 6 - 7.67 volts.

The charger I'm using is a club car accupower automatic charger with an anolog meter. The meter jumps to 20 amps on initial startup and then settles in around 5 amps shortly after.

After thinking about the initial posts yesterday I am leaning toward the v-glide and/or the FnR switch
Old 12-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

and just a note, the battery voltage on each is during charging. I forgot to grab the before charging voltage of each one.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

When You checked the Vglide, did You verify the copper pads were not melted/sunk into the plastic base and that the wiper arm and flexible cable were in good shape and moving freely all the way to the top?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car