lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2020, 06:11 AM   #1
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Solid state conversion and 36 to 48 volt

What's up BGW? I figured I would document or at least semi-document the solid state conversion of my 92 CC DS father son project that has been an on again off again project which i never really fully document.

Cart history - i have had the car since 2008. It is a 1992 Club car DS 36 volt with a v-glide and resistor coils. It was the cream color body and top pretty basic. we stripped the golf accessories off and gave them away as this is a neighborhood cruiser project not a golf course hot rod. We had the body painted a custom mixed blue which was a combination of BMW/ford/and some other blue all mixed together to get what we got. We painted the top with black spray on bed liner. added a back seat and 6" buggies unlimited lift. we kept the small tires for a while. We ordered 22x11x10 tires which came in and while they said they were that size on the side wall they are twice as wide it seems. bigger than my neighbors cart with same sized tires. the cart still on 36 volt and v-glide resistor coils stock motor. we have replaced many solenoids/v-glide assemblies and battery packs over the years. did i mention its lifted and the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panel/floor board is 18", so it sits up there.

Fast forward - well I have now finally had enough of "dad the cart wont go again" from my kids when they go to use the cart when their friends or cousins come over to hang out.

I purchased through Carts Unlimited (Scotty B) the solid state conversion kit C54. We use the cart in our neighborhood and at campgrounds since it fits in the bed of my truck with the tailgate closed and the rear seat floor clears the top of the tailgate by 1". I emailed Scotty before i bough it and his response was quick and informing for my questions. I decided to go with the kit and convert the cart to 48 volts in the process since I'm gonna be in there anyway. no time like the present. we will also be adding a "street legal" lighting kit with the brake lights turn signals and all LED lights. My younger boys 15/13 respectively will also be helping here and there for teaching moments and dad just needs to sit down once in a while for a cold drink.

Once I figure out how to load the pictures along the way with my updates i will post updates as we go and post the pics to show the progress. hope everyone enjoys the post and if i actually get to help someone else along the way that's even better. with this post i have uploaded the cart how it was with the lift tires and paint my oldest boy (26 yo) and I did in the original project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue cart.jpg (197.3 KB, 0 views)
NewtoBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Solid state conversion and 36 to 48 volt

Sounds like a fun project! Leaving stock motor?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

nope im adding the admiral motor to this upgrade. It was an after thought but ill get into that at that point of the build.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:49 AM   #4
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

if I did this right here is a picture (afterthought on when to start taking pictures) after the cart had been stripped of old electronics (didnt take a picture of this portion) and the installation began with placement of the controller and HD solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4457.jpg (231.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by NewtoBuggies; 12-12-2020 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: picture didn't insert
Old 12-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

ok the Alltrax, the HD solenoid and the SW202 are mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4458.jpg (199.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4459.jpg (197.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok so while i was trying to move the wires on the motor during tear down, two of the post spun. being that the cart is a 1992 i figured it wasn't worth the hassle to check if the brushes were ok after this. I immediately ordered the admiral motor for my 48 volt set up. it arrived two days later. moving back to today. I removed the old motor and installed the admiral. below is the old motor (cant believe how dirty it is inside) the rear end empty and with the new motor installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4499.jpg (201.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4474.jpg (196.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4475.jpg (186.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #7
sycraft
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoBuggies View Post
ok the Alltrax, the HD solenoid and the SW202 are mounted.
I am doing the same conversion, the solenoid should be mounted on the rt rear upright behind the seat, cables will reach properly if there
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:19 AM   #8
er455
Not Yet Wild

How much is the conversion kit ?
er455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
I am doing the same conversion, the solenoid should be mounted on the rt rear upright behind the seat, cables will reach properly if there
So far the cables from the motor which I am reusing are reaching the reversing contactor with no issue. My kit did not come with new cables so with exception of the motor wires, I am making new wires as I install each item. I'm hoping that with the corrugated plastic wire tube cover stuff I can make the install clean as possible.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #10
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

er455 the price varies depending on what you are getting in your kit. I think some of the basic kits are in the 600's range with the most extreme in the 1000s. You can go to Scottyb's site he is a site sponsor on here - cartsunlimited and browes his page for the conversion kit that fits your needs. mine excluding cable and motor was about $1200 shipped to my door if i remember right. but go to cartsunlimted there is a link on the site sponsor area.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car