lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Long Travel Lift Advice

I have 94 TXT (actually a medalist converted to the plastic body). The one in my profile pic. I have slowly upgraded this cart over the years, and I have recently added the Raptor AMD motor, which is powered by the Alltrax SR 48400, 3 Allied lithium 51 volt 30Ah battery packs installed parallel.
My problem is, it will now run 30+ now, and you can't hold it! The steering had a little loose play, so I installed a new steering box, and tie rod ends. Little to no help. I know part of it is because it's much lighter.
Now to the main question. I'm thinking about replacing my current lift with a Jake's long travel. Do y'all think it will help?? Does anyone have a similar set up? I've read where the newer txt long travel comes with new spindles, but the older 94-01.5 don't and you have to use the original. I don't want to spend that much money and not solve my problem. What y'all think? Or any other advice to get this thing a little more stable.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Long Travel Lift Advice

I can tell you that I have a 99 TXT with a Predator 670 and 8:1 gears. I ran it un-lifted at first on stock tires. As it climbed into the 20's, it got unstable. Did a full on death wobble with my neighbor on the back, and he name the cart "Hell Bucket" as I had it on two wheels multiple times as I went back and forth. That old steering is not designed for speed. There were lots of things at play in that experience, but the big one is that these carts are not designed for high speed. Fast forward a few months and add a 7" RHOX double A-arm lift...its as stable as you could want it into the 30's. No idea what the top is as I am still breaking in the engine. Probably don't have and hour on it yet. Now this lift is not "Long Travel", more like "No travel" as it is very stiff, but is incredibly stable and serves my purpose well. I couldn't wait for a Jake's lift...I had ordered one in mid July, and decided in October enough was enough, cancelled the Jakes and ordered the RHOX, and rebuilt the front end of the frame to accept the RHOX lift. Had the lift delivered and installed within a week.
To answer your question...I'm sure the LT suspension will help the stability of the cart...Can't speak for Jake's specifically other than everything I have read says that folks are happy with the handling improvement offered by it. Same with AllSports and RHOX. Not sure if there are any other manufacturers for this cart suspension.
As for the spindles, they are different. Spindles are different lengths, which means at a minimum, you would need new hubs. I also think the king pins are different heights. I thought the Jakes lifts all came with new spindles and accept their brakes. The spindles would have mounting points for their calipers. If they required you to use your old spindles, you couldn't add their brakes, which is a common add for these lifts and I thought was integral to their lifts. Not sure if there are differences for Gas and Elect models with regard to the front suspensions, but I doubt it. Call them.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
I can tell you that I have a 99 TXT with a Predator 670 and 8:1 gears. I ran it un-lifted at first on stock tires. As it climbed into the 20's, it got unstable. Did a full on death wobble with my neighbor on the back, and he name the cart "Hell Bucket" as I had it on two wheels multiple times as I went back and forth. That old steering is not designed for speed. There were lots of things at play in that experience, but the big one is that these carts are not designed for high speed. Fast forward a few months and add a 7" RHOX double A-arm lift...its as stable as you could want it into the 30's. No idea what the top is as I am still breaking in the engine. Probably don't have and hour on it yet. Now this lift is not "Long Travel", more like "No travel" as it is very stiff, but is incredibly stable and serves my purpose well. I couldn't wait for a Jake's lift...I had ordered one in mid July, and decided in October enough was enough, cancelled the Jakes and ordered the RHOX, and rebuilt the front end of the frame to accept the RHOX lift. Had the lift delivered and installed within a week.

To answer your question...I'm sure the LT suspension will help the stability of the cart...Can't speak for Jake's specifically other than everything I have read says that folks are happy with the handling improvement offered by it. Same with AllSports and RHOX. Not sure if there are any other manufacturers for this cart suspension.

As for the spindles, they are different. Spindles are different lengths, which means at a minimum, you would need new hubs. I also think the king pins are different heights. I thought the Jakes lifts all came with new spindles and accept their brakes. The spindles would have mounting points for their calipers. If they required you to use your old spindles, you couldn't add their brakes, which is a common add for these lifts and I thought was integral to their lifts. Not sure if there are differences for Gas and Elect models with regard to the front suspensions, but I doubt it. Call them.
Thanks! I'm not really in no rush (especially this year in golf cart world)! This is my personal cart, that really got me started in the golf cart madness, but I also have a Club Car Precedent with a DoubleTake A arm lift that will also do 34mph that is stable as a car.
Thanks again for your input! I'm going to investigate all options. I have all winter to really decide.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Can’t speak for lift kits as mine is stock height.
What I can suggest is the faster you go the more critical the front end alignment specs come into play.
Aside from making sure you have no “slop” in steering. Make sure cart has at least 1/8” toe in. Toe “in” adds stability to steering . Toe out adds “responsivness
To steering input.
May want to check alignment, more sore when tire size,lifts,front end parts are replaced.
Sure you have already but never hurts to recheck😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

I've done some looking, and I can't find where RHOX even offers that lift for the 94-01. You said yours is a 99? Everything I've seen is for the 01.5 and up.
Looks like the All Sport might be a better option because it completely replaces the whole front end of the cart. Suspension, steering box, spindles, the whole nine yards, but it's a little pricey. If you can, share where you found yours. It is for the 3 bolt steering column correct?
Old 12-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
I've done some looking, and I can't find where RHOX even offers that lift for the 94-01. You said yours is a 99? Everything I've seen is for the 01.5 and up.
Looks like the All Sport might be a better option because it completely replaces the whole front end of the cart. Suspension, steering box, spindles, the whole nine yards, but it's a little pricey. If you can, share where you found yours. It is for the 3 bolt steering column correct?
Well, I did say this:
"...and rebuilt the front end of the frame to accept the RHOX lift."
They don't make one for the early model TXT, so I modified my frame, swapped in a 4-bolt steering column, and put some newer model hubs on the spindles.

It does come with a new rack, spindles, and all suspension components. I have a build thread on here with pics, etc. If you can do some cutting and welding and some fabbing skills, its definitely doable and I did mine in a weekend. Not significantly less expensive than the AllSports or Jake's though, just a lot quicker to get it. I still need to do the body work, paint and seats, but it runs and drives fantastic, albeit a bit stiff.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:11 AM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Well, I did say this:

"...and rebuilt the front end of the frame to accept the RHOX lift."

They don't make one for the early model TXT, so I modified my frame, swapped in a 4-bolt steering column, and put some newer model hubs on the spindles.

It does come with a new rack, spindles, and all suspension components. I have a build thread on here with pics, etc. If you can do some cutting and welding and some fabbing skills, its definitely doable and I did mine in a weekend. Not significantly less expensive than the AllSports or Jake's though, just a lot quicker to get it. I still need to do the body work, paint and seats, but it runs and drives fantastic, albeit a bit stiff.
I guess I missed. No wonder I couldn't find them. I can do many things, but fabricating and welding ain't one of them. I can weld enough to barely get by, but that's about it.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miratyn View Post
I used always to like to travel by train. I mean, I loved this atmosphere on the train, when you can spend the night there, look out the window, listen to the rhythmic sound of wheels on the rails. There was something romantic for me in this clatter of the train rails, reminiscent of my hometown, where our house was not far from the railway. Now I prefer to drive through the states and cities in a car that I rent.
I was lost but now I am found
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the jakes long travel and 25" tires and I have hit 37mph and it's not too bad, brakes on the other hand are worthless, so I ordered a disc brake kit but I am still waiting on some small parts after waiting 10 months for the kit
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miratyn View Post
Is there any problem here at all? I also once installed a new steering mechanism for myself, and in the end, everything burned down. Everything couldn't stand the 30+. Of course, I had a completely different situation, and I couldn't fix everything on my own, but I can say that even if I were in your place, I would still contact the service and not climb there on my own. You never know when your intuition may fail you, and you will be left with a 1-on-1 problem. Even when I was repairing my car and breaking something, no mechanic wanted to take it up and scolded me for unprofessional interference. They said that it would be better if I went by train and did not climb to the lifts and cars at all, haha. Well, I'm traveling now through https://www.dbauskunft.com/de/.
Funny thing is, I am the service person. I work on carts. This is my personal cart that I rarely get time to work on! I just haven't done any long travel lifts before. I have my name on the list with Allsport for one of there long travel lifts. It looked to me like the best set up for what I want, as it replaces most everything on the front end.
One day maybe I'll get to post the results!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO