lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Jcooley380
Not Yet Wild

Default Welded Spider Gears Differential Information

Looking for any information from folks who have welded the spider gears in their electric Club Car to make it a full locked rear end. I am considering doing this to my cart as it is primarily used around the farm and for hunting. During the summer it will be used maybe 4 to 5 miles per week on pavement at my camp.
Most all of the older and lots of newer 2wd ATV's are basically set up this way. Any information you have from personnel experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Jcooley380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Default Re: Welded Spider Gears Differential Information

if this were stricly a drag strip cart, i'd say go for it. if your going to turn the front wheels on pavement at all, don't. it'd be like my 4x4 truk with hubs and gearbox in 4x4 hopping and dancing on pavement. if you do, buy lots of tires
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unlike your ATV, 70% of the weight of an electric cart is on the rear wheels. Good luck getting it to turn much on any hard surface or slippery conditions especially if you have her shod with good bitin' tires on the rear.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
Jcooley380
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I'll know how she acts in a few days. Putting in torque motor with Alltrax 500 amp controller. Going to convert to lithium soon as my batteries are shot. That will remove about 300 pounds and should help with turning issue. We shall see as I have welded it together and just reassembled the differential.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Cool, I'd like to see how it works.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcooley380 View Post
Looking for any information from folks who have welded the spider gears in their electric Club Car to make it a full locked rear end. I am considering doing this to my cart as it is primarily used around the farm and for hunting. During the summer it will be used maybe 4 to 5 miles per week on pavement at my camp.
Most all of the older and lots of newer 2wd ATV's are basically set up this way. Any information you have from personnel experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
It will not work on asphalt. Already been there. Unlike automotive gears, the cart gears are not strong enough and it will shell the whole rear end. I have done it twice with good success, until I took them on asphalt and with in a few weeks/months, they both failed.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
It will not work on asphalt. Already been there. Unlike automotive gears, the cart gears are not strong enough and it will shell the whole rear end. I have done it twice with good success, until I took them on asphalt and with in a few weeks/months, they both failed.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Curious. What make of rear ends did you weld up?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
Jcooley380
Not Yet Wild

Got it back together today along with FSIP torque motor and Alltrax 500 amp controller. Initial impression is it's going to work pretty good but it's still kind of early to say. Probably induce some steering difficulty with passengers in rear seat on pavement but that isn't going to happen too often. In the dirt, mud and grass where I'll be 90% of the time it's going to work fine.
I can't imagine the rear coming apart as it looks pretty beefy and I welded it really well. Welded the gears together and then put a metal tab in between the gears on both sides and welded it all the way around.
Will be a week or so before I get any more time in it but will report back on any issues.

John
Old 12-27-2020, 05:15 AM   #10
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

It's alot of stress on both the housing and the gears themselves. Perhaps you'll have better luck with limited pavement use than Nole has seen. In the mean time, if you see a spare rearend at a garage sale for cheap, you may want to toss it in the attic. :)
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car