lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
cucucurry
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 ds with Curtis IQ 48v Regen, high speed magnet

Hello all! I hope this hasn't been already covered but I did use the search for magnets and nothing turned up... So here goes...I recently purchased a 2003 club car ds 6 passenger...the serial number is Aq0330-301497 and it has the Curtis IQ 48v regen motor...I have read about the high speed magnets with mixed reviews, but would like to try it anyways...I just don't want to buy something that I can't use and all the sellers are so vague...has anyone out there tried this mod? Does it even work with my configuration? If not are there any affordable mods that anyone can suggest? Thank you in advance and Happy New year to all of you!
cucucurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2003 ds with Curtis IQ 48v Regen, high speed magnet

Cucucurry I have a 06 iq 48v stock motor&controller that we are selling and I wanted to find a lil more pep w/o putting more $ into our custom build. So we had the cc dealer install the factory code 4 and I put a high speed magnet in it. It works but not like a new plum quick or ds motor will. It picked up noticable speed but like they say.

I tryed to post a pic but had no luck. Im that dumb sorry
Purpleharley61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I have a 2008 bone stock except for a speed magnet I got from revolution and slightly larger tires. It cruises 20+ mph on flat pavement all day long. I’m sure a motor/controller combo would yield even better results but for $30 I’m happy. I really can’t say I want/need anything more

I’d definitely get it from www.revolutiongolfcars.com David is a great guy and wealth of information if you have any questions about it
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucucurry View Post
.... I recently purchased a 2003 club car ds 6 passenger...the serial number is Aq0330-301497 and it has the Curtis IQ 48v regen motor...I have read about the high speed magnets with mixed reviews, but would like to try it anyways...I just don't want to buy something that I can't use and all the sellers are so vague...has anyone out there tried this mod? ....
I had our motor rebuilt to a PQ Bandit mainly because it was 16 years old and unknown history.
It came back with a "high speed" magnet as part of the rebuild and it would go a few mph faster.
The speed magnets are either 8-pole or 4-pole.
8-pole is OEM and 4-pole is "high speed".
The controller counts the pulses from the magnet as the motor turns and can tell how many RPMs it is doing.
With the 4-pole magnet the controller thinks the motor is only spinning half as fast as it actually is doing.
The controller will limit the RPM of the motor, but because it only sees the motor spinning at half speed will allow it to attain higher true RPM, thus faster speed.
To attain higher speeds and torque you will need more amps getting from the batteries to the motor which would require 2 ga battery cables, a 400A solenoid and an upgraded controller.
The stock controller is probably around 250A.
Our stock 2003 IQ setup would go around 16-17 mph on flat ground, but I also have 10.3:1 rear axle gears.
With the PQ Bandit 4-pole speed magnet it was around 20-21 mph.
With an Alltrax 400A controller, cables and solenoid it will go 27-28 mph.
The Alltrax controller requires selecting 4-pole or 8-pole speed magnet so it knows the true RPM which negates any effect of a 4-pole magnet.
There is a separate adjustable max RPM setting in the Alltrax setup menus, along with a few other settings/features/error displays.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

FWIW my '02 DS IQ did 19-20 with old batteries and a magnet. Now with new batteries and an older DCX Alltrax, it does 20-21, but gets to 18mph very quickly. As long as you understand the limitations of a magnet, I like them. Are you in hilly terrain?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003, club car ds, high speed, high-speed magnet, magnet
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car