lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
Brian81CJ
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Summit charger on non-OBC cart

First off, thank you for this board, I’ve learned so much from all of you! I’m a new member and this is my first post!

My cart is a 2016 JE series. I originally thought my ERIC charger wasn’t charging properly because my charge light was coming on after maybe 5 min of driving after a full charge. I didn’t have another one to try so I installed the Summit charger with the ring terminals right to the battery pack. It seems to be doing much better but my yellow light keeps flashing.
Is there a way do disable that light? The Summit charger does state that the batteries are completely charged.

I was all set to bypass my OBC and didn’t realize the JE series doesn’t have one...

Thanks in advance!
Brian81CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Summit charger on non-OBC cart

Easy way to disable it is remove it. Insulate the wire ends so they can’t short to anything.
Install a digital voltmeter in its place. For a digital meter do not try to use the wiring for the yellow light, as those wires go to the controller and will not make the digital meter work properly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
Brian81CJ
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Easy way to disable it is remove it. Insulate the wire ends so they can’t short to anything.
Install a digital voltmeter in its place. For a digital meter do not try to use the wiring for the yellow light, as those wires go to the controller and will not make the digital meter work properly.
Thanks for the reply. I was going to do that originally but it seemed too easy and didn’t want to mess anything up. It just seemed weird that even though I’m not using the ERIC charger anymore, and the batteries are fully charged, the it would still flash.
I do have a separate volt meter that I had already installed. And what was confusing with that was the volt meter never went down at all before the yellow light started flashing.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW. Be sure your current battery gauge is a voltmeter and not a percentage of charge meter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
Brian81CJ
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Welcome to BGW. Be sure your current battery gauge is a voltmeter and not a percentage of charge meter.
Thanks, I just looked and it is the volt meter. I do see where others are listed as “battery charge” indicators.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

When the yellow light comes on, I would check pack voltage with a volt meter. How old are your batteries and what's the voltage after charging and sitting for 12 hours or so?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree, the controller turns the light ON or blinks it if the pack voltage drops too low while driving.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
Brian81CJ
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I will double check the voltage at the battery pack later this morning... it’s been charging all night. The yellow light has been blinking nonstop for almost a week and I’ve been driving it for about an hour each day at the campground and plugging it in after every ride. My Summit charger is connected right to the battery pack, when it completes the charge cycle, the app shows batteries at 100% and 54 volts. And the light still blinks.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
Brian81CJ
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I agree, the controller turns the light ON or blinks it if the pack voltage drops too low while driving.
So if the light is always on even after a full charge, is it safe to say there is a problem with my controller? Sorry for the dumb question but I’m very new to this. This has been a heck of a learning experience so far lol
Old 01-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The blink light may be the controller indicating that it has not sensed a charger connected for a long time.

While it is not a problem if the pack voltage is normal, You may be able to solve that problem and provide controller charging lockout at the same time.

You did not say what Summit II model you got, but if it is the 650W model, just disconnect the bullet connector from the charger receptacle blue wire and connect the harness side of the blue wire to the Summit II blue wire.

That blue wire from the summit II should be connected to the "lockout" terminal inside the charger.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car