lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #1
jeno
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 club car dc motor

I have a dilemma I need to get a golf cart dc drive motor that will at least make my 1993 club car ds 36vdc electric go to 18-20 mph. right now it goes a slow 13-14. I called d & d and they recommend the "two two" motor which is sku 170-002-0002. but I have worked on other 1993 golf carts same year and voltage 36 vdc by the way and I see a bigger motor and all these golf carts have the same as mine does i.e. resistors, and the slide switch non electronic controller. now the other carts have a ge model 5bc49jb3071 which I cross referenced for the higher d & d 36vdc sku 170-003-0002 which specs out higher rpm than the motor d & d stated for my cart. both of these golf carts are the same year and set up the same but get this the 1993 club car with the ge motor runs at 18-19 mph. so d & d warned me if I put the sku 170-003-0002 in my 1993 golf cart at 36vdc it will blow resistors. I cannot figure this out. can anyone elaborate on this? I would like to put the sku 170-003-0002 motor in but i'm afraid it will blow resistors when on the same golf cart it does not. thank you for any help and experiences
jeno is online now Report Post
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 93 club car dc motor

The biggest issue you’re going to have trying to accomplish what you want is the weak point in the cart... the drive system.

You need to understand how it works first. Current passes through the v-glide (slide switch), the forward/reverse switch, and the resistors. The forward/reverse switch should be fine as long as it’s clean, but once you start to upgrade to heavier motor it can become problematic. HD FNR switches are available, and apply to both 36 and 48 volt series carts.

The v-glide and resistors are really the weak point. All the current passes through the wiper switch to the resistors. That’s a lot of current to go through a contact point even when stock at the v-glide. Heavier duty motor will pull more current and can melt the v-glide contacts.

The resistors are fine for a stock setup. Remember, these are golf carts and the resistor carts especially, were designed (and discontinued nearly 20 years ago) to take 2 old guys, some golf clubs, and beer around a golf course. 10-12 mph was all they were meant to do, and without a lot of work you’re going to see failures out of the drive system. Those resistors were only designed to support so much current.

That said, you need to look more into the specs of the motors, not just the rpm. The motor D&D recommended probably has less torque output than the one your buddy uses. I haven’t looked but that’s just my assumption. Torque requires amperage, amperage is what burns v-glides and resistors. Voltage is speed. While it may or may not get you to the speed you “want” it would be more stable long term and less prone to cause other component failure.

Now THAT said, if you really want to increase speed I’d recommend either looking into a conversion kit to convert it to a solid state 48v cart, or buy a newer cart that is already solid state. There just isn’t much you can really do with the resistor setup, it’s pretty limiting. But a newer IQ cart will do the speeds you are seeking completely stock, with just the addition of a $30 speed magnet.

Just my .02
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Jeno, you've asked this question three times. If you want to get your cart over 20mph cheaply, tie a rope to the front of the cart and the back of your truck, and drive your truck over 20. Otherwise, find a cliff and push it off. Beyond that, it wont' be cheap. Call one of the site sponsors, Dave @ Revolution or ScottyB @ Carts Unlimited, and they'll give you the inside scooby.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
I have a dilemma I need to get a golf cart dc drive motor that will at least make my 1993 club car ds 36vdc electric go to 18-20 mph. right now it goes a slow 13-14. I called d & d and they recommend the "two two" motor which is sku 170-002-0002. but I have worked on other 1993 golf carts same year and voltage 36 vdc by the way and I see a bigger motor and all these golf carts have the same as mine does i.e. resistors, and the slide switch non electronic controller. now the other carts have a ge model 5bc49jb3071 which I cross referenced for the higher d & d 36vdc sku 170-003-0002 which specs out higher rpm than the motor d & d stated for my cart. both of these golf carts are the same year and set up the same but get this the 1993 club car with the ge motor runs at 18-19 mph. so d & d warned me if I put the sku 170-003-0002 in my 1993 golf cart at 36vdc it will blow resistors. I cannot figure this out. can anyone elaborate on this? I would like to put the sku 170-003-0002 motor in but i'm afraid it will blow resistors when on the same golf cart it does not. thank you for any help and experiences
jeno is online now Report Post
Jenno, can you post a photo of your battery compartment and back behind the batteries?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Jeep-Just Empty Every Pocket
Boat-Break Out Another Thousand
Cart-I got nothing, but they ain't cheap...........

Don't ask me why I know the meaning of the first two.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Jeep-Just Empty Every Pocket
Boat-Break Out Another Thousand
Cart-I got nothing, but they ain't cheap...........

Don't ask me why I know the meaning of the first two.
But I thought everybody in California was rich

Cart - crap, another repair today
Old 02-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

That's the rumor, especially if you ask our politicians (a conversation for another part of the forum)!

I like your version of cart!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #8
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

it probably says 2.97 hp special service on your stock motor nothing will make that much faster, just find a 36 volt motor from an earlier club car and add 2 8 volt batteries to make 40 volts 20 plus mph 42 volts got me 22 plus mph have not burned up any resistors as of yet and its been since august I slanted the windshield back and picked up 1 mph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1789.jpg (180.0 KB, 0 views)
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCurt View Post
it probably says 2.97 hp special service on your stock motor nothing will make that much faster, just find a 36 volt motor from an earlier club car and add 2 8 volt batteries to make 40 volts 20 plus mph 42 volts got me 22 plus mph have not burned up any resistors as of yet and its been since august I slanted the windshield back and picked up 1 mph
I’m guessing what you mean by this is to replace 2 of the 6v batteries with 8v batteries for the 40v nominal... How exactly does one charge a pack of such spectacular magnitude? Surely the salubrity of the pack has not been compromised at all...
Old 02-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCurt View Post
I'm gonna bite my tongue before I say something stupid.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car