lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Lester Summit II 36/48 volt Bluetooth High Efficiency

Hello all. I have a 96 Club Car DS. I have modified and upgraded just about every component in the cart including a lift kit, lights, 23” tires, Alltrax 600amp controller, new motor, cables, batteries, etc. Cart has been running amazing.

Yesterday I noticed my charger was clicking but the amp meter wasn’t moving. and the cart was barely charging. After some research, I figured it was the OBC. So I did a bypass, (took black wire from the back of charger port in cart directly to main battery pack - . I left all other wires intact on the OBC. This seemed to do the trick, as now I have about 15 Amps registering on the charger and the cart shows the batteries are charging.

The charger is a Power Drive E52338 17930 Club Car charger. My questions are as follows:

1. Since I’m using the above charger without an OBC, what risks am I running? Over/under charging? What voltage is to high for the pack?

2. Should I replace the OBC or buy a new intelligent charger? I looked at Scotties website and saw the Lester II charger. I like the idea of this being an on-board charger. Is this a good setup for my Club Car DS? Does this system work just by plugging in a standard heavy duty extension cord?

I’m looking for convenience and long term stability. Looking for best options. Thank you.
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Lester Summit II 36/48 volt Bluetooth High Efficiency

Withou the OBC the Powerdrive charger will never turn off.
It will do a fast bulk charger, and then boil all the water out of the batteries without ever actually reaching a full charge. Using it in the short term is acceptable, but you need to monitor the pack voltage and unplug the charger when the pack gets to about 65V.

The Summit II is a great charger, small size which makes it easy to mount on board. Or you can use it off board just like you use your current charger. The only thing you really need to do is bypass the OBC, and set the battery profile in the charger so it matches your batteries.

Which brand and model are your batteries? If your pack is over about 190Ah rating, then that will change which version of the charger you will need to properly charge your pack.
180 and under are good for the 650W version.
190 and over typically should have the 1050W version.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #3
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lester Summit II 36/48 volt Bluetooth High Efficiency

My batteries are Autocraft 170ah with 120 mins @ 56amps. The battery pack never before got much higher than 54v. Is that normal? Should I be getting my pack in the 60v range? Could my OBC have been allowing the pack to charge, just not all the way full?

For the short term, what should I take my pack to before taking the charger off? 60v+?
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obc bypass
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car