lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
Kauaigirl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2011 Precedent - Heavy Duty Leaf Spring upgrade (mounting bracket troubles)

I'm upgrading my leaf springs to heavy duty springs. I was able to mount the drivers side springs with no issues. When I attempt the passenger side, the mounting bracket holes for the u-bolt do not line up properly. When I put the u-bolt in place, the leaf spring "center bolt" does not seat properly in the hole on the mounting bracket. If I line up the leaf spring bolt, then I can not get the u-bolt to line up with the holes. Has anyone had this problem when changing out original single spring leaf to the heavy duty leaf spring?

If I have the mounting bracket pressed against the leaf spring and the bolt not seated in the hole, will I have a suspension failure if I drive on it?

I'll try to get pictures and post in comments.
Kauaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
kevinmoore73
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Precedent - Heavy Duty Leaf Spring upgrade (mounting bracket troubles)

Is the spring oriented correctly? The longer part should be towards the front of the cart.
kevinmoore73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Kauaigirl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Precedent - Heavy Duty Leaf Spring upgrade (mounting bracket troubles)

Yes, I even took the spring out completely, measured it and reinstalled to make sure.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Kauaigirl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The first two pictures are on the passenger side where I'm having issues. The 3rd picture is the driver side where everything is seated properly. The frustrating part is the driver side took me all of 5 minutes to put back together... everything just fell into place. I've been struggling with the passenger side for hours!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2337.jpg (13.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2336.jpg (9.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2335.jpg (9.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

When I have dealt with suspension parts on regular cars I always get everything lined up and hand tight before wrenching everything down tight. You may have an issue where the other side is fighting you. Try to loosen that up so that the components have more play and see if that helps.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #6
Kauaigirl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update... New Problem.

Once I got everything put back together there is a rubbing noise coming from the rear tires. When up on jack stands I spin the tires and it appears that the tires are rubbing on the mounting brackets (both sides).

What did I do wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2438.jpg (89.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
Kauaigirl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well I found a couple other people who had this problem. The suggested solution was to loosen up the u-bolts and beat the snot out of the bracket with a rubber mallet... hitting them towards the center of the buggie. I did this and it seemed to fix the problem.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:40 AM   #8
simply_sarcastic
Not Yet Wild

Yes! hit it with a hammer, that tends to do it🙃...
A little bit of "gentle persuasion" 😁
simply_sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car