lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
mstringer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Time for New batteries?

I have a '92 Club Car, 36V, converted to solid state with Alltrax SR48400 series (C42 kit) with new Admiral MOT-A1 motor, 2G cables with Trojan 105's (over 4 years old now). When I completed this conversion nearly two years ago I was near 18mph for top speed on the stock wheels. I let the batteries die...had to recharge them all to get the charger to work. They charged back up. I also added epson salt to batteries and put them thru several charges however the max speed I am now getting is about 13mph. I have an LED battery meter connected. The batteries will charge up to 38+volts. I can go 3+miles at a constant 13mph and be at about 35.6 volts. I am getting over 10 miles range but the torque/and speed are not there. Is it time to replace the batteries or do I need to adjust something!? And if batteries, should I upgrade to 48V and do I go Lead or Lithium? Pro's/cons!?
mstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Time for New batteries?

Definitely go to 48V if your gonna buy batteries. I did the same and upgraded to solid state and motor when I was still 36V, you make that upgrade and it will put a smile on your face when you hit the gas! I think outside of initial costs lithium is the way to go, I will go that route when I need a new pack.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

At 3.56 volts your batteries are at 35% charge, essentially dead. I too think a 48 volt conversion is your best bet.

Lithium is more costly, probably less over a 10 year life expectancy. Depends how much you want to spend upfront.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
mstringer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies. With my batteries close to 5 yrs old, the fact I screwed up and let them drain down at this point, I am going to go Lithium 48v. With that said, when I make that kind of change is there something I need to also change or adjust with by Alltrax controller or motor?
mstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstringer View Post
Thanks for the replies. With my batteries close to 5 yrs old, the fact I screwed up and let them drain down at this point, I am going to go Lithium 48v. With that said, when I make that kind of change is there something I need to also change or adjust with by Alltrax controller or motor?
I'm not sure what needs to be done on a 36 to 48 lithium conversion on a series cart. Someone smarter than I will chime in here.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Start reading the lithium forum and get educated on the major differences between lithium and lead acid batteries. Lithium needs a lot more special attention than just what the controller is doing. You also will need a lithium charger and a battery management system to keep the lithium pack from turning into Fukushima under your seat.
They do not tolerate mistreatment, over charging, undercharging, or amp draw beyond their rated output capacity.
They can be the best things you’ve done for the cart, or they can burn your house down. Make sure you’re fully aware of the maintenance needs and the dangers of lithium before you make the switch.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Start reading the lithium forum and get educated on the major differences between lithium and lead acid batteries. Lithium needs a lot more special attention than just what the controller is doing. You also will need a lithium charger and a battery management system to keep the lithium pack from turning into Fukushima under your seat.
They do not tolerate mistreatment, over charging, undercharging, or amp draw beyond their rated output capacity.
They can be the best things you’ve done for the cart, or they can burn your house down. Make sure you’re fully aware of the maintenance needs and the dangers of lithium before you make the switch.
Fairtax, I think you've succeeded in narrowing down the choice between lead-acid and lithium for me.

I'm going to stay with lead-acid....something I at least know a LITTLE bit about!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car