lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #21
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 RXV Motor and Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Just watched the videos again. Don't park the cart on a hill. Chock the wheels even on the level (garage).
=========================================

Kernal - here is the issue. The passenger side rear axle and wheel hub flange gear is worn out. No gear oil/lube on it either. The driver side is fine.

Please see attached.

Currently, it is in the garage and the wheels are choked and nowhere to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver Side Rear Wheel Hub Flange Plate.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Driver Side Rear Axle.jpg (74.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Side Rear Wheel Hub Flange Plate.jpg (99.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Side Rear Axle.jpg (176.1 KB, 0 views)
RXV Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #22
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had made a comment here which I deleted after getting a better look at that axle. It looks like the passenger side axle is pretty much toast and will need replacing.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #23
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
There's not supposed to be any gear oil there. That's a sealed bearing you're looking at and is intended to seal the axle tube. That's a good thing. If there WERE gear oil there it would indicate bearing damage. ( could still be bad bearing but let's think positive til we know better.) The axle splines look bad but sometimes looks can be deceiving. Take something like an ice pick and one at a time clean out the impacted metal from the axle splines and you'll get a better look at how bad they are. They may be salvageable and you may possibly get by with just hub flange replacement. ( still assuming good bearings )
======================================
Sthreatt - they are completely worn out on both the hub flange and the axle side. I used the driver side hub flange and although it works, the spline will wear out in the long run so I will go with replacing both the hub flange and the axle.

Thank you for all the help.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #24
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sthreatt, USGICollector, Sbird! and Kernal - thank you so much for the replies and suggestions on what to check. Now I know the issue and I will bring it up to the repair shop.

You guys rock!!!
Old 06-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #25
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, this is for your son. Let the pro's go through the cart. Assuming it really is a 2009 there is probably a lot of routine maintenance that needs to updated.
We are fortunate in PTC to have lots of resources for golf cart service.
I have daughters and grand daughters out on carts all the time many miles from home base. I don't skimp on maintenance.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #26
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Yes, this is for your son. Let the pro's go through the cart. Assuming it really is a 2009 there is probably a lot of routine maintenance that needs to updated.
We are fortunate in PTC to have lots of resources for golf cart service.
I have daughters and grand daughters out on carts all the time many miles from home base. I don't skimp on maintenance.
========================================

Yes this is a model 2009 RXV but we bought it from Batteries Plus back in May 2019 as a refurbished cart. I am surprised though that the splines wore out on just the passenger side as opposed to both.

And you are correct. There are many cart services around and you can even ask the "Bubble" as to who they recommend. I called John's and they may be able to check the cart on Monday but I am still torn of doing the repair myself. If I do it and it works, I will try to schedule a maintenance check a month from now. If it does not, then I will have either Johns or Golf Cart Masters to diagnose the issue. But from the looks of it, I think I have nailed the issue down, all thanks to those to who responded.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #27
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Those splines can't wear if they're super tight so they can't move against each other. A common cause of wear in axle splines is not being tight enough. One side was, the other wasn't .
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #28
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Those splines can't wear if they're super tight so they can't move against each other. A common cause of wear in axle splines is not being tight enough. One side was, the other wasn't .
========================================

I am planning to add a washer on both sides so there is no room to wiggle. I just checked a neighbor's RXV and they are snug fit. For sure that'll help the spline be in tip-top shape for the life of the cart.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #29
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When mounting new rear hub, you should follow the instructions of the RXV service manual:

4. Coat the splines of the axle shaft (5) with a Dow-Corn-ing Moly Coat TM77 anti-seize compound.5. Install hub (4) onto the axle shaft splines (5).6. Install the flat washer (3) and the castle nut (2) ontothe axle.7. Tighten castle nut (2) to specified torque. If cotter pin(1) can not pass through the hole in the axle shaft con-tinue to tighten the nut until the hole in the shaft alignswith an opening in the nut to allow the cotter pin willpass through. Once the cotter pin (1) is through thenut and shaft, split the legs and bend in oppositedirections

Tighten the axle nut to 70ft.lbs / 95Nm !

No extra washer needed ( you may won't get the cotter pin in )

Good luck!
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:13 AM   #30
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
This

Also, ojo gives good advice. Castle nut torque is very important. Stripped hubs due to improperly torqued castle nuts is common on EZGOs especially TXT models.

If any noise at all replace the bearings also. My grandson caught it on my cart. His 9 year old ears heard them long before there would have been a problem.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO