lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
ralph1478
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 36 volt motor no power

I'm not a mechanic so bear with me. Can the brushes wear down so far that the motor loses power and runs erratically? It's an old 1978 5 solenoid system. I can hear the solenoids click but no speed change. It will suddenly speed up or slow down with no pedal change.
ralph1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt motor no power

In very old motors with a LOT of use I have seen them wear down so short that the brush springs hit the brush retainers and lose pressure on the brushes to the commutator. That can make for erratic running. Speeding up and slowing down without pedal change sounds more like solenoid ( or solenoids ) dropping out or in during ride. Could be bad or weak solenoids or intermittent connection in wiring to those solenoids. More or less voltage being sent to the motor depending on how many resistor coils you're engaging/disengaging.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

it sounds more like the slide that actuates the micro switches is worn, but you can test the solinoids easy enough, there is a copper bar that hooks the five solinoids together, remove it and then you can test each one idividually which will also pinpoint which of the micro switches have gone bad or that the actuator is not actuating
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yes, brushes wear out eventually. And yes, they will cause low power or jerky operation/changes in speed with no change in throttle.
On a motor that old, I would be pulling it apart to check the brushes and the commutator.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car