lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
K9 Keno
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Charger Help

Well I got 8 years out of my Trojan 48v system!! I just put new batteries in today and was wondering if someone could recommend a better charger then the factory one?? Maybe one the does trickle charges or anything else that would help me get great life like I did before. Or should I just stick with the old one?? 2007 Club Car Pres. Thanks for the input!!!
K9 Keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Charger Help

I love DPI charger and it has a float mode. I remember some talk of DPI doing away with the float mode on the latest version but not sure what came of it.
Is yours a power drive 3 ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:26 PM   #3
K9 Keno
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I love DPI charger and it has a float mode. I remember some talk of DPI doing away with the float mode on the latest version but not sure what came of it.
Is yours a power drive 3 ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
I have a power drive 2. I did see a charger
Modz.Max but I read it may not work with carts with an OBC...?? Saw an LZFAN one as well can't find info on it came out in February...

Thanks
Old 06-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I had a DPI and no complaints whatsoever.

Pretty much any aftermarket charger will require the obc to be bypassed
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I had a DPI and no complaints whatsoever.

Pretty much any aftermarket charger will require the obc to be bypassed
DPI sells a charger specifically for Club Car with OBC. It works with the OBC just as a Powerdrive would. They also offer one for bypassed OBC.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

bypass on my DS was very simple
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 Keno View Post
Well I got 8 years out of my Trojan 48v system!! I just put new batteries in today and was wondering if someone could recommend a better charger then the factory one?? Maybe one the does trickle charges or anything else that would help me get great life like I did before. Or should I just stick with the old one?? 2007 Club Car Pres. Thanks for the input!!!
8 years out a set of batteries is pretty good in my book
if your obc and charger are working well, why change a good thing?
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:10 PM   #8
K9 Keno
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
8 years out a set of batteries is pretty good in my book
if your obc and charger are working well, why change a good thing?
I was kind of thinking the same thing... was not sure if that was a fluke lol... Winter is my issue I would really like to have a trickle in the winter.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 Keno View Post
Winter is my issue I would really like to have a trickle in the winter.
The OBC / PowerDrive combo was created just for that. Leave the cart plugged in on the charger and the OBC will periodically turn on the charger and run a charge cycle, I believe every 14 days, even if there has been no activity. Then turn itself off when done. With no use of power they will be short "top off" charge cycles, but enough starting amps to knock the sulfates off the plates - which is perhaps the biggest issue with off-season disuse. A trickle charger will not have the amps to do that.
If it works, 8 years on your last battery pack suggests it does, I would stay with what you've got.
Just be sure to check the water periodically.

Last edited by meimk; 06-13-2021 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Add'l info
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #10
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
The OBC / PowerDrive combo was created just for that. Leave the cart plugged in on the charger and the OBC will periodically turn on the charger and run a charge cycle, I believe every 14 days, even if there has been no activity. Then turn itself off when done. With no use of power they will be short "top off" charge cycles, but enough starting amps to knock the sulfates off the plates - which is perhaps the biggest issue with off-season disuse. A trickle charger will not have the amps to do that.
If it works, 8 years on your last battery pack suggests it does, I would stay with what you've got.
Just be sure to check the water periodically.
From the Club Car Powerdrive 2 manual :.......

• Long-Term Storage Charge
Vehicles with PowerDrive 2 chargers are designed to be left connected, with AC power to the charger
on, during off-season storage. The onboard computer will automatically activate the charger every 15
days. To return the vehicle to service, unplug the charger DC cord, wait 15 seconds for the computer
to reset, and plug the charger back in. This will ensure the batteries are at
their optimum charge prior to returning the vehicle to service.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car