lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery options?

I bought a used a 2015 Precedent with 2019 PD flooded cell 8volt batteries. ERIC charger and keep them topped off with distilled water.

Range is dropping so I am looking at replacement.

What are my options for sealed batteries? Is Trojan the only thing out there? Should I go with 4 12 volts instead of the current 6 8 volts?

Thanks
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
I bought a used a 2015 Precedent with 2019 PD flooded cell 8volt batteries. ERIC charger and keep them topped off with distilled water.

What are my options for sealed batteries? Is Trojan the only thing out there? Should I go with 4 12 volts instead of the current 6 8 volts?

Thanks
Six 8 volt batteries is the only way to go other than lithium. You will have much less usable power from four 12 volt batteries.

Trojans, Crowns, and US Battery are the high end ones. Good lower priced options are Duracell golf cart batteries and Super Start Deep Cycle batteries.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:

Thanks
Correction..... the batteries are old. They are NOT 2019s.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:17 AM   #4
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Six 8 volt batteries is the only way to go other than lithium. You will have much less usable power from four 12 volt batteries.

Trojans, Crowns, and US Battery are the high end ones. Good lower priced options are Duracell golf cart batteries and Super Start Deep Cycle batteries.
Ok, thanks!

How are the Trojan AGMs or any no maintenance options?
Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

AGM batteries are typically not suited to use in a golf cart. High current discharge rates can damage AGM batteries, and they don't typically have the same range as a flooded battery due to the discharge demand that a golf cart puts on a battery.
There are other brands of batteries. Trojan, US Battery, and Crown are among the top tier of brands for golf cart use. Interstate and Exide would probably come in just below those, and then there are dozens of other brands that are mostly re-labels of the same generic batteries. They may cost less, or they may not in some cases.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Only solution of no maintenance is lithium. Upfront cost is higher, but about the same as FLA in the long run, if you plan on keeping your cart. They sure are nice!! Worth it to me.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok thanks. For some reason I thought Trojan made AGM versions of it’s golf cart batteries?
Old 08-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Ok thanks. For some reason I thought Trojan made AGM versions of it’s golf cart batteries?
They do. The T875 reliant AGM costs over $300.00. A set of 6 for your cart is over $1800.00.

Makes the lithium prices look real good!
Old 08-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another thing to consider. You mention range loss. What do you do with your cart? High speed street use, golf course, hills or flat land running, long runs each day, all affect what you are buying.

If you drive 5 miles a day at 14 or 15 mph, the Duracells would last you 4 to 5 years at a cost of around $115.00 each.

If you have an upgraded cart and ride hills, high speed, etc., go with a better battery.

If you want longevity go lithium.

If you spend 10 hours a day on the golf course only, get the Trojan AGM batteries, although lithium would still be better here.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #10
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Another thing to consider. You mention range loss. What do you do with your cart? High speed street use, golf course, hills or flat land running, long runs each day, all affect what you are buying.

If you drive 5 miles a day at 14 or 15 mph, the Duracells would last you 4 to 5 years at a cost of around $115.00 each.

If you have an upgraded cart and ride hills, high speed, etc., go with a better battery.

If you want longevity go lithium.

If you spend 10 hours a day on the golf course only, get the Trojan AGM batteries, although lithium would still be better here.
Ok, thank you.

We use the cart as our neighborhood vehicle. It’s hot here 9 months a year, and REALLY hot and humid 3 of those months. Terrain is flat and the cart is stock but I would like to stretch it for extra seating, put a moderate lift and tires on it, and be able to do 23-25 mph instead of the current 15.

Probably make sense to do the battery, controller, and motor at the same time?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car