lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
candem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default DS 2003 upgrade for golf use - options?

First post - thanks to everyone for the great information I have already got from the forum and your posts while lurking.

I have a DS 2003 (AQ) that I am looking to add a bit more pep to. Currently it is stock other than the OBC which has been by-passed and I have an external Lester Summit charger. About 2 year old Trojan batteries.

We only use it for golf and live on the golf course which is not flat but fairly hilly. Cart seems to have slowed down and this is particularly noticeable on the hills. I am more interested in comfort than in speed or torque

Having done some research I am considering doing the following:
1. Upgrade the motor to see how much that improved things.
2. If 1. was not enough then add a new higher amp controller

PlumQuick Bandit looked like a great solution until I discovered they will take 5 - 6 weeks. Can't afford to be without the cart for that long.

I reached out to Revolution and they recommended their Level 2 package which is an Alltrax XCT400 with solenoid and cables.

Future things I am considering: rims and wheels (no lift), vinyl wrap, Breeze Easy 3 fan and Lithium batteries.

I guess my concern is that doing the controller seems a short term fix. Given the age of the cart I figure the motor is the item with the most wear and tear and the likely point of degradation / failure.

Most of the new motors seem like they are only really worth while with a controller upgrade. I have just discovered EMP and they may be an option. Anyone done just an EMP motor upgrade?

Appreciate any input.
candem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DS 2003 upgrade for golf use - options?

I have had the Bandit upgrade done and it is well worth the money. It added more speed and torque for the money spent but mine is a series motor and only took a week. They must be really backed up. I'm currently looking for more speed and looking into EMP, they're very interesting but a lot more money. Seem to have some good reviews on this forum.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The controller is the power delivery device, and is the main bottleneck for how much torque the motor has. More amps to the motor means more power to climb hills. A lot of people are totally happy with a stock motor after doing a controller upgrade. That said, with an early IQ GE motor, it’s probably at the point it needs to be rebuilt. The brushes on those are small and don’t hold up as well as most other motors do. They’re also much more expensive to replace than most other brushes. Places like Plum Quick and EMP probably replace the brush holder assembly with one that uses a larger brush design and fit more commonly available brushes.
But a motor by itself, even one upgraded by PQ or EMP, is still bottlenecked by a stock controller.

Something else that is a common issue on the early IQ carts is a worn drive rod between the Go pedal and the MCOR. The rod and pedal wear where they make contact with each other and it’s enough to prevent the MCOR from sending the full voltage signal to the controller, so you don’t actually get full throttle when the pedal is on the floor. It can be bad enough that the controller may only see 70-80% throttle, which leaves you with No power climbing even the slightest hill.
Typical fix for that is to put a piece of fuel line or a couple zip ties around the rod where it makes contact with the pedal arm to take out the slack.
Also the Go pedal pivot bushings get worn and create slop in the pedal movement which can effect operation of the MCOR. If those are worn out there is an update kit for the pedal pivot rod, and replacing the MCOR drive rod and bushing brackets will get the pedal back to the correct spot.
Listen carefully as you slowly press the pedal down for the click of the switches in the MCOR. If you push the pedal more than about 1/3 of the way down before it clicks, then the bushings and/or pivot rod are worn and need some attention.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #4
candem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks , appreciate the insight.

I was hoping to do this a step at a time however, I am starting to think it may be best to bite the bullet and go the whole hog. New controller, motor and possibly Lithium all at the same time.

I will definitely check the rod, pedal and MCOR as you suggested.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:12 AM   #5
Nicko773
Not Yet Wild

Probably add a HD forward/reverse switch too. The added amps will burn up the stock switch.
Nicko773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko773 View Post
Probably add a HD forward/reverse switch too. The added amps will burn up the stock switch.
An IQ uses a rocker switch. All Fwd Rev control is handled by the controller so no heavy duty switch is required.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
candem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses.

I checked the drive rod and there was a bit of play (25% -30%) so put a zip tie around it and it seems a bit better. Certainly the solenoid kicks in sooner.
Checked the MCOR and it is an old style cheap one that a mobile cart guy replaced around 2017, so that could also be part of the issue.

Getting about 18 -19 mph on flat and about 12 up hills.
When golfing it seems to be fine up hills most of the time - but every now and again seems very sluggish.

Have had no response from EMP so I figure they are also back logged on work.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
candem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Talking Re: DS 2003 upgrade for golf use - options?

Quick follow up.
I ended up going with an Alltrax XCT400 controller and FSIP motor.

Thanks to David Hicks from Revolution for going through all the options and providing advice as well as those who have responded to my posts.

Did not get any response from EMP.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car