lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
JHK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default New to me g1...I think

I just purchased a yamaha gas cart and hunted high & low for seriels numbers...no luck. I found a number on the solonoids.....J17-81950.....and on the block/ head...J1000, 215cc

I assume this is a 1982 G1...is this correct?

The cart is bone stock except for some lights mounted to the bumper. I charged a battery, checked spark (ok), flushed the bad fuel, cleaned and blew out the carb, and primed the filter and fuel line....choked the hell out of it...and it started.

Issue I'm having is the governer looks to be working overtime, and everytime I start it, I have to buffer the choke. then the battery ran down enough to not provide adequate spark (I assume) and it wouldnt start.

I never could get it to start in reverse (weak battery?)...but then again it wouldnt start in forward after the battery ran down to that point.

My questions are:
1.) what should i check out first? I have fuel air and spark......so I assume the spark just isnt hot enough with the battery low?
2.) what is the best way to bypass the gov? I read a couple threads but just am not clear as I am new to this.

Any/ all help is greatly appreciated.
JHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
mjdrift
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New to me g1...I think

Here is a link on where the vins are located

http://www.groovycarts.com/find-cart-serial-number.html

Hope this helps some.
mjdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Pappy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Replace the seals on the crankshaft,lots of threads but one added lately that shows the procedure.Good luck
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
JHK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks MJ.......found the seriel number.....J31-00-1750.....shows to be a 1984 G1.

Pappy....why the crankshaft seals?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
mjdrift
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK View Post
Thanks MJ.......found the seriel number.....J31-00-1750.....shows to be a 1984 G1.

Pappy....why the crankshaft seals?
NP.....i got an 82' g1 myself.
mjdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
rib33024

bad crank seals. 2 cycles need "ring compresion" and "crank case pressure". Look to see if there is oil/dirt on the engine side of the primary clutch/oil pump gear housing. The flywheel side is hard if you don't take the time to take off the "shrouding/flywheel" although if you "feel" underneath the "shrouding" and feel grease/dirt.....crank seal! Good luck...Keep us informed.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
JHK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok then...........sounds like crank seals are in order to start. I'll order them today.

Any ideas on where to get them?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
rib33024

Check with our site sponsors they will help you
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha