lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
SouthernCart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default New Guy needs a liitle advice

Hey yall. Father-in-law had a golf cart sitting out in his field for 2+ years (wasn't in good shape prior to being left in the field). I took it off his hands and am going to re-build it. From my research I have figured out it is a G11, not sure of the year but I will figure that out tonight when I get home and locate the serial number.

Here's my first problem. I've got the rear end pulled and the engine pulled. The driver side brake drum set up was rusted in place but with alot of elbow grease, determination and brake clean, I've got it working again. However I'd really like to get the axle out of the way so I can tear the brake down and really get it clean and working 100%. How do I remove the axle from the brake assembly? I already have it removed from the gear box and off the frame.

Second problem. As I have stated this thing sat for 2+ years in a field getting everything mother nature had to offer. I'm trying to remove the cylinder head but it wont budge. I tried heating up the seam some and prying on it and no go. Any suggestion or little tricks would be great.

I've got pictures at the house, if this will help some. I'm sure my terminology isn't correct, but I plan on learning with yall' help. Thanks.
SouthernCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: New Guy needs a liitle advice

Welcome to BGW!!

Check here, I hope this helps > http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamparts.php?basemodel=G11A

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to BGW
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

PBblaster Whoo Hoo and Marvel Mystery oil in the engine gas etc. Welcome!!
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Welcome Southern! That cylinder head and crankcase are one piece, the head won't come off like a M/C! Wish it would! To re-ring ya gotta pull the clutch and primary shieve (with special tool) and then open up the crankcase to get at the rod cap. If you do this make sure all the gears (crank, cam and balancer) are clearly marked for position before you take them out!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
SouthernCart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the welcome' yall!!!

Flintrock,

So why does it show the cylinder head being a separate piece in the diagrams, also there were 5 bolts going through the cylinder head into the block? Not that I don't believe you, just curious about these things. Also where do I obtain this tool to pull the clutch and shieve? I was actually going to do that this evening. Any thoughts or suggestions on getting the axle out of the brake assembly? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Southern, gave you some incorrect advice there, should have read closer. Obviously the cylinder head should come off, the "jug" will not. Sorry. If you have all 5 bolts out (that center one can be overlooked) then the head should come off, maybe some gentle tapping from side to side with a hard rubber mallet. The primary shieve puller is for sale at some of our sponsor sites (CPP for sure), you may be able to "borrow" one here if someone offers, or I have had luck taking the engine to a Yamaha dealer to remove. Have done this twice, two different shops and neither would have charged me for it, but I did tip them anyway. I have also heard of "home made" versions using a correct thread bolt and steel rod. Find a pic of the tool and you'll understand this. Have never needed to pull the axle, I have a shop manual at the house, I'll look this evening and see what it says for ya.....
Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
SouthernCart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
Southern, gave you some incorrect advice there, should have read closer. Obviously the cylinder head should come off, the "jug" will not. Sorry. If you have all 5 bolts out (that center one can be overlooked) then the head should come off, maybe some gentle tapping from side to side with a hard rubber mallet. The primary shieve puller is for sale at some of our sponsor sites (CPP for sure), you may be able to "borrow" one here if someone offers, or I have had luck taking the engine to a Yamaha dealer to remove. Have done this twice, two different shops and neither would have charged me for it, but I did tip them anyway. I have also heard of "home made" versions using a correct thread bolt and steel rod. Find a pic of the tool and you'll understand this. Have never needed to pull the axle, I have a shop manual at the house, I'll look this evening and see what it says for ya.....

Good deal man. Like I said this thing has sat in the weather for 2+ years. Nothing has come off easy to this point and I'm just kind of winging it as I go. This will be my first small engine/golf cart rebuild, so I'm sure Ill have lots of questions for yall. I'll stop by Harbour Freight and pick me up a mallet on the way home this after noon and try that.

Also another question, I should be able to turn the clutch (big gold bell looking thing?) and it should turn the engine? I'm pretty sure the engine is locked up, but this is just for future knowledge.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Yep, you should be able to turn the engine over by hand using the clutch or primary shieve. Soak the spark plug hole up good with somethin, (PB Blaster, WD, whatever) and let it sit, maybe you'll get a little lucky and free the engine and head up?

I gotta ask, where is Czechahoe? West?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
SouthernCart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
Yep, you should be able to turn the engine over by hand using the clutch or primary shieve. Soak the spark plug hole up good with somethin, (PB Blaster, WD, whatever) and let it sit, maybe you'll get a little lucky and free the engine and head up?

I gotta ask, where is Czechahoe? West?
I'll give that a shot tonight.

Czechahoe is just North of Pimpsville and South of Slapahoe......

I'm actually located in Cypress, Tx. It's west Houston pretty much.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha