lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
V H PL
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha speed spring?

Has anybody tried the Yamaha speed spring . The ad claimes speed up to 28 MPH with stock tires . I was told by a local Yamaha dealer to only turn the governor screw in 3/4 of the way or risk the engine sucking oil thru the air box.I hate to do any damage to the engine for a few extra MPH.Whats your experience . I have a G16 cart . Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 614-1_lrg.jpg (24.4 KB, 10 views)
V H PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha speed spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V H PL View Post
Has anybody tried the Yamaha speed spring . The ad claimes speed up to 28 MPH with stock tires . I was told by a local Yamaha dealer to only turn the governor screw in 3/4 of the way or risk the engine sucking oil thru the air box.I hate to do any damage to the engine for a few extra MPH.Whats your experience . I have a G16 cart . Richard
I've installed many, they do make the cart go faster and haven't found an over rev situation. I will say the accelerator pedal feels "harder" to push. That could cause accelerator cable#1 to fail. I don't see how it would cause oil in the airbox.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Most dealers are not normally the best place to get your performance advice. The first time the Yamaha rep flipped up the seat on one of our Big Block kits I thought he was gonna faint. LOL .. Most dealers do not want a stock cart to run 28mph. The spring works great, But I'm a little biased as I build it. Its much safer than bypassing governor completely and allows for speed adjustment. Oh by the way I sell quite a few to some Yamaha dealers. LOL

See (smallblock450sl) AKA Dave is not "most" dealers, He's a pefrormance guy like the rest of us gearheads.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
Most dealers are not normally the best place to get your performance advice. The first time the Yamaha rep flipped up the seat on one of our Big Block kits I thought he was gonna faint. LOL .. Most dealers do not want a stock cart to run 28mph. The spring works great, But I'm a little biased as I build it. Its much safer than bypassing governor completely and allows for speed adjustment. Oh by the way I sell quite a few to some Yamaha dealers. LOL
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They will break the cable over time, that is why I disabled mine. With a g9 though, another identical one only went a hair slower with the stock spring adjusted all the way in. There was little difference. But I could go down a hill and pull away nicely. I GPSed mine at 30 on flat roads not sure on downhills, I try not to rev it too hard. It has 22s on it that measure 23. I will be looking at my clutches to see if there is any modding room in there for more gear, it could use a little more but not much.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
BigCountry79
Gone Wild

Yamaha

take the vent tube going to the airbox and just point it towards the ground, i did this to keep blow-by oil off my air filter
BigCountry79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Sho305
Are you sure your cable was not just weak in the first place, I been running a speed spring for over 3 years on the same cable. And I drive the cart to work almost year round.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
1super70
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Now that I have read about the speed spring when do I get one and how hard to install?

1super70
1super70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1super70 View Post
Now that I have read about the speed spring when do I get one and how hard to install?

1super70
Click here>> http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-...056b6de5ad6a19

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
cart de golf
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry79 View Post
take the vent tube going to the airbox and just point it towards the ground, i did this to keep blow-by oil off my air filter
if you unplug the tube from the air box block the hole because it will run bad & dirt will get in the engine & then will start to smoke

my advice dont do it
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha