lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
yamy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default CDI Help!

I'm trying to troubleshoot my G1 which died yesterday. It has no spark at the plug when I turn it over. There is no voltage in the orange wire which is going into the ignition coil, so I don't think the coil is the problem. This orange wire comes from the CDI unit, which I'm not sure what that is. I'm assuming it regulates the spark and I know it is expensive (over $300). So how can I verify that the CDI unit is working? There is voltage coming out of the magneto's brown wire, which goes into the CDI unit.

Thanks ahead,
Tom
yamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: CDI Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamy View Post
I'm trying to troubleshoot my G1 which died yesterday. It has no spark at the plug when I turn it over. There is no voltage in the orange wire which is going into the ignition coil, so I don't think the coil is the problem. This orange wire comes from the CDI unit, which I'm not sure what that is. I'm assuming it regulates the spark and I know it is expensive (over $300). So how can I verify that the CDI unit is working? There is voltage coming out of the magneto's brown wire, which goes into the CDI unit.

Thanks ahead,
Tom
Sounds like you've check out enough to beleive it's the CDI. Do you know anyone else with a G1, all the CDI's are the same ,so you could test it with a known good one. 300.00 seems high for a CDI. Try to place a "want to buy" post in the "for sale" thread. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I wouldn't rush into replacing the CDI unit just yet. That would be last on my list of possibilities. Most likely you have a loose/corroded connection or chafed wire. Look close at the four connectors coming out of the engine. Check your harness where it comes around the battery and exhaust. Look in the stickies section above for a wiring diagram if you don't already have one. Do you have an ohmmeter to check for continuity and resistance?
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
I wouldn't rush into replacing the CDI unit just yet. That would be last on my list of possibilities. Most likely you have a loose/corroded connection or chafed wire. Look close at the four connectors coming out of the engine. Check your harness where it comes around the battery and exhaust. Look in the stickies section above for a wiring diagram if you don't already have one. Do you have an ohmmeter to check for continuity and resistance?
Did I say to buy a CDI? Apparently he knows how to use a volt meter. I assumed he checked the connections from his well tought out post.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm not trying to start a battle here, just trying to help the OP. Since there is no way to test a CDI control unit short of replacing it with a known good unit,it is prudent to check everything else thoroughly. If he is satisfied with his diagnosis, then your suggestion to post a "want to buy" is very good advice.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
yamy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll check the wires again as I really don't want to replace the CDI, and I don't have access to another one for testing purposes. I have a wiring diagram.
To bad CDIs are difficult to test. I would like to verify the magneto is working as this seems to feed the CDI. Does anyone know how to test the magneto?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
skarp
Gone Wild

I just had the same problem....no spark and nothing coming out of the coil!!!

It ended up being the group of wires that run along the battery box....seem to have shorted against the frame.

Moved them and fired right up.

Hope that helps!!!

Stephen
skarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Pulser coil resistance 14 ohms (white/red wire to white/green wire)
Charge coil resistance 370 ohms (brown wire to black wire)
Test these wires on the engine side where they come out of the engine. The black wire is a ground and should have continuity to ground. On the harness side,the other 3 should not have continuity to ground (shorted wire as skarp found) but should have continuity to the CDI control unit connector. Open circuit= broken wire in harness. Unplug the control unit during testing to prevent letting the Magic Smoke out of the box!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Just check your ground.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
yamy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

UPDATE:

I missed testing the ohms between the spark plug lead and the ignition black wire (ground). There is zero continuity there, and it should be 5900 ohms, right? Anyway, since my spark plug lead has cracks in it and the boot is torn up, I ordered a new ignition coil. I'll update what happens when that arrives. I think I'll also order the service manual which hopefully has all the ohm specs for testing.

Thanks for the help!
Tom
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha