lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
mortimer
Getting Wild

Default starting issue

Campgroung opened up this weekend. Got the cart there and as I tried to start it to get it off the trailer, It was a bit difficult. It was on a slight hill so i coasted off. Tried again and at just a bit of throttle it was running, but as soon as I gave it more throttle it died. Put it in service mode, and after a few tries of doing the same thing i could finally give it more throttle and it was reving up. Away I went. The cart sat for a few hours, and did the same thing. After about 30 seconds of it idling, not in service mode, It would finally start reving up and I could drive. Did this almost every time I tried to start it cold. Once it gets a little warm it runs like a champ. Went to park it in the shed before I left and it was still the same issue. I did notice a faint smell of gas and did not want to overly flood the thing. Sat for about 15 minutes and it wouldn't fire, still smelling a bit of gas. So I pushed it in the shed.
At home I really wasn't driving it a whole lot and it seemed it would start easier with just a little throttle and a bit of choke, idle for a few seconds and away I would go. It would hiccup when stopping and starting when warm, and I could just tap the choke and it was fine. I emptied the tank, without realizing it, filled it with a bottle seafoam and a full tank of gas. I swear it ran great after that. No hiccups at all. I did notice with my inlaws '84 If you give it a lot of choke, it floods. So I try and not do that. As soon as I hear it start running I let off that choke. Both carts are the old flathead, kf82 engine. Mine, a 1986, I just rebuilt. Had a few issues with air leaks, but I cured that. In fact the choke will stick in, when it was hiccuping and you push too hard, it sucks in and you have to pull it out. The carb is old and has been soaked a few times, butterfly rod seems tight. I have done everything by the book so far. But am clueless as to why it won't run right off the bat. I don't think 30 seconds of idling would be enough to get it warm before it starts.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
mortimer
Getting Wild

Default Re: starting issue

Btw, I do have a 6" lift but have leveled out the engine with blocks underneath it. In fact I had to make my own governor rod first with a coat hanger, which was the perfect diameter. OEM one ended up being about 6" short. But we had some stainless wire that we spray on parts at work. Was a bit big but opened up the holes enough where it would fit and not bind. Bushing at linkage was a bit difficult and after finding ones that would fit the carb end I drilled one to fit. Took me 3 tries to not shred those tiny things.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

did you pull the plug to see if its all sooty and black, it sounds like its getting to much fuel, you may have to take the carb off and tear it down and really go over every bit of it ....use compressed air to blow everything out......might want to go over the fuel pump also..........how are the filters? check your oil see if theres any gas in it.........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
mortimer
Getting Wild

Will try that. Have checked the oil for gas already and none. Although not since the weekend excursions, but just before. Was a bit worried about the choke sticking in and it sucking too much fuel. All filters are new.
problem here is I have to wait till friday. It is at our campground. Have never
knew what it meant if the plug was sooty. All I knew was when it was wet.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

make sure no dirt dobbers have built a nest in the Vent line ( actually happened).
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
mortimer
Getting Wild

All new lines, fuel and vent, so there should not be any issues with that. That one is a pain to get at with the carb on because it is right behind it. I know it isn't kinked either. But will keep that in mind, just in case.

Last edited by mortimer; 04-19-2011 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
mortimer
Getting Wild

BTW Shadowman, your avatar looks just like the back of our lot at our campground. The fire pit is in a different place. Same shed. The tree with the thermometer has a bat house there instead. Showed the wife that and she did the same thing I did, looked twice at it. Had to laugh. You don't have our key do ya? I'd like to get a snowy pic of ours and show you.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

..........................lol......thats my lot at the campground up around pymatuning lake........post a pic of yours would love to see it, where is it?...........................................
Old 04-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
mortimer
Getting Wild

Just got back from campground. I checked out the cart and I have absolutely no spark. Took the ignition coil off, thinking that might be the issue and hooked it up to the father-in-law's '84. It started right up without a problem. Even checked the plug and it was fine. Had a little soot on it but I have seen worse. Put them back in mine and just checked to be sure it wasn't a loose wire in it and tried again. Nothing.

When putting the engine back in I sanded every ground connection that was on the motor and where it connected to the frame. Fuse in black box is ok. I am praying it's not the exciting coil but at least it's cheaper than the ignition. Just not looking foreward to taking the side of the engine off. Will begin the process of checking and testing everything probably tomorrow morning.

And Shadowman, I didn't even think about taking that pic. Sorry. The back there is a muddy/swampy mess right now. In fact the whole campground is. We left early because it's still raining. Paradise Lake. East Rochester, Ohio.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m at holiday camplands in andover ohio.................ours is a little messy to i left saturday eve. after it rained almost all day...............does your cart have a rev limitor bolted on the engine side cover rear driver side? what year? if so i would replace that before the exitor coil it seems the ones that have that rev limitor go bad before that exitor coil..........in my experences anyways.......................both are expensive.......................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car