lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Pattyb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default o1 ds oil light on/off

our 01 cc ds oil light comes on and after awhile the engine will kinda retard and then blow oil smoke out the exhaust..then the cart goes back to speed like nothing is wrong,,,any idea's?
Pattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Pattyb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: o1 ds oil light on/off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyb View Post
our 01 cc ds oil light comes on and after awhile the engine will kinda retard and then blow oil smoke out the exhaust..then the cart goes back to speed like nothing is wrong,,,any idea's?
The cart light goes intermittenly..its not on all the time
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

ok a coluple of questions to help. buuut may not be an issue.
the light switch is a float in the case. if oil low it conncts the conntacts, if oil level good, it turns light off. it is not pressure related.

so with this we will want to no is it a stock buggie, lifted buggie, recent oil change done, if so what weight of oil. should be 10w30. synthetic or conventional does not matter. dirty old oil is tghinner then new. hot oil is thinner then cold. see why we would like a little insight.
and is the spark plug showing sighns of oil on it? is it the correct one? ngk bpr5es as i rember correctly. or a ngk bp5es(non resitor type)
i dont understnd why the engine is retarding its self. it has nothing to do with the oil pressure. tghere is no governor on the engine thats engine controlled.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

my guess? it is overreving, pumping the oil out faster than it returns. then it hits the rev limiter and slows back down enough to let the oil flow back to the sump about the same time the rev limiter drops the ignition back in to it
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Pattyb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The oil was changed very recent & the light did go off for awhile...I used 5w30 synthetic..is that two light...the buggie is lifted with a 3 in kit.. I havent checked the spark plug,,,didnt put the oil light together
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

are you sure there is teh correct amount of oil in it? after they are lifted the dip stick may not be correct because of the angle of the engine pan. the easiest way i have found is to jack up the rear of cart so motor is level. then check oil and fill to level.. when on flat ground remark dip stick at full mark.

the synthetic is fine and flows better than plain oil. my oil light would come on continuously before i switched to synthetic in my street cart. no lift so it is easy to tell if that one is level.
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Pattyb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will check the level like u suggested....why would the cart kinda slow then blow oil smoke out the exhaust..then go back to normal...when the light stays on for a bit this happens,,,
Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
my guess? it is overreving, pumping the oil out faster than it returns. then it hits the rev limiter and slows back down enough to let the oil flow back to the sump about the same time the rev limiter drops the ignition back in to it
We had same thing happen on a 02 that the rev limiter was unhooked and the oil light would pop on and off at higher rpm's
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Pattyb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the rev limiter was just unplugged and the govnor has been slipped,,, the cart did this all last year,, i did change the oil..So is 5w30 too light of oil?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think the oil is ok, but most likely its the rev limiter letting the engine turn up so high that it pumps the oil to the top of engine. We also had this happen and filled the shop with oil smoke as well.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car